Storage Space

• I swear, I am fuming right now. Where is the ‘Add Storage Space’ page gone? It seems like this is directly aimed at me. As soon as I need space, the access to the storage space upgrade has disappeared. I just bookmarked it the other day, because they had made it very difficult to find and when I brought up that bookmark, it was still at the add storage space page, but the links to add that space have disappeared. I cannot, and will not, continue with my blog if access to additional storage space has been removed. I better not say anything else right now.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• I located that link for you by using the support docs searchbox at http://support.wordpress.com. I typed in space upgrade and clicked the link https://en.support.wordpress.com/?s=space+upgrade
    VOILA!

• Thanks for trying timethief, but that does not work. I’m looking for the storage space upgrade page, not the plan upgrade page.

• Try using this link please Dashboard > Store
    http://presentlytravelling.wordpress.com/wp-admin/paid-upgrades.php
    Locate the Space Upgrade listed on that page and click the Buy Now link.

• . I’m looking for the storage space upgrade page, not the plan upgrade page.

See here:

Extra Storage [Redirects to Plans]

• Thank you timethief, and galois but I’m now very suspicious. I tried everything, but could not find that page. Why is WordPress making it difficult for me to find that page? Could it be that they have a special script set up for those who are approaching, or have already reached, the point of needing more space? You two have saved me from going ballistic, for now…… :-)

• Well, maybe I spoke too soon. It seems that when I sign in, that page you are both showing me disappears. What’s going on here?

• Also, there was a 10gig upgrade for $25. and now that’s gone.

• Okay, so here is as far as I’ve been able to get on this. For whatever reason, when I tried to get to the space upgrade page, it just wasn’t there, even when I was given the proper link to it, as soon as I logged in at the link, the option to buy a space upgrade disappeared. I have now been able to reach that page, while logged in, but I’m very suspicious about why this is so difficult for me. I’ve purchased a space upgrade before, and had no trouble at all. My guess is, WordPress is trying to upsell here, and would rather we purchase a higher, more expensive, plan, such as the Premium Plan, instead of buying a less expensive space upgrade. I don’t appreciate this at all. You people may see this as ‘just doing business’ but I see it in a different way.

Also, when I did purchase my original upgrade of 10 gigs, I realized that I could no longer purchase another 10 gigs again, I would have to go to the 25 gig upgrade now. That’s the way it works. I don’t like the fact that I can’t purchase another 10 gigs, but it is what it is.

So, I go to purchase the extra 25 gigs, and I find that there is only one payment method on that purchase page, even though I know I paid via Paypal, when I purchased the last space upgrade, and it does still say in the info elsewhere that this is one of the payment methods that they take. What is all this mish-mash of information with WordPress? For goodness sakes, you’ve been around long enough to have these things a bit more streamlined by now. Or, do you have different pages that come up, depending on what the status of the subscriber is?

• What happens when you go directly to your site’s WPAdmin Dashboard>Store?

Do you see the individual upgrades such as Add a Domain, VideoPress, Custom Design, Space Upgrades, etc.?

• More importantly, there really is no need to upload full size 5MB, 3648 pixel wide images (or 9MB images!) when they are only being displayed at less than 600 pixels wide on your site.

That’s a huge chunk of storage space that you can save (and improve image clarity, to boot) by resizing and optimizing your images for display in your site before uploading them.

• Yep, justjennifer, you are correct. I had considered doing that, but I have thousands of pictures on my site and, unless there is some kind of bulk method, going through them all, one by one, would be a major undertaking.

I have calmed down a bit now, I shouldn’t have gotten so upset about this, it was unhelpful, and very human of me. :-)

• Okay, so after doing some research, and weighing my options, I’ve decided to create another free site, and provide a link from it, back to my original site, and vise versa. I remember reading about how long inactive sites will remain online, and I think that the answer was WordPress.com will leave the sites up, even if the previously purchased space upgrades were not paid for each year. They just won’t allow any further media to be uploaded to that site. Am I correct in this?

• I’ve decided to create another free site, and provide a link from it, back to my original site, and vise versa.

Note that hotlinking is no longer allowed.

Hotlinking to WordPress.com.
    Other than via VideoPress, your WordPress.com site shouldn’t host files that will only be used on other sites. https://en.support.wordpress.com/user-guidelines/

• I think that the answer was WordPress.com will leave the sites up, even if the previously purchased space upgrades were not paid for each year. They just won’t allow any further media to be uploaded to that site. Am I correct in this?

Yes. That’s here:

What happens to my files if I cancel my plan?
    You will not be able to upload new files until you resubscribe to the plan. Files that you have already uploaded won’t be deleted and will remain accessible. https://en.support.wordpress.com/space-upgrade/#frequently-asked-questions

• Thanks, again, for your help timethief. I have read the rule about hotlinking, and I’m not quite sure I understand it clearly. Does this mean that I can’t put a link on my new site that will take visitors back to my old site? If this is true, then is there another way to direct visitors back to my original site?

• Does this mean that I can’t put a link on my new site that will take visitors back to my old site? If this is true, then is there another way to direct visitors back to my original site?

No. It means that we cannot upload images into an second blog so we can use that media storage space, and then link to those images there in our first blog where we may have used up our storage space.

• Ahhh, I see. So it appears that I’m good to go with the route that I’ve chosen. This will be a completely separate ‘new’ blog, with its own images, not linked back to the original blog. The only link back to the original blog will be to the blog itself, so the visitors can easily navigate between the two blogs. Thanks for all the help timethief.

• Yes you are good to go with that and best wishes.

• The topic ‘Storage Space’ is closed to new replies.