storage

• My storage is getting low. I want to resize my initial photos. How do I go about it?

WP.com: Yes
    Correct account: Yes

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• To re-size images, please follow the steps at https://wordpress.com/support/wordpress-editor/blocks/image-block/#resize-images

If you want to optimize the existing images, you will have to manually upload the images and replace them to their respective posts.

You can learn more about optimization on https://wordpress.com/support/media/image-optimization/

• Hi there,

Resizing your initial photos won’t free up media storage space – if you try to edit and resize them in the media library, that will use up more space, as we still keep the original version of the file, and add the resized version in addition to it.

To free up storage you’d need to completely delete the initial image from the library (also deleting it from every post you’ve used it in), and replace it with a smaller version. This is do-able, but a LOT of work (I tried it once when I only had around 100 images in my library, and don’t plan to ever repeat the exercise :) ). But you can try that if you want to.

I see you have around 300MB storage left. If you start optimizing your images going forward as explained in the doc @rawalplawit gave above, you can make that 300MB last for quite a while longer. As an illustration, I have around 700 images in my own site’s library (you have around 500 in yours), and those only take up about 100MB of storage, as I’m very diligent about optimizing my images first. So this really can make a massive difference on how long your remaining space lasts, even if you don’t take steps to free up space that’s already used.

And by the time your remaining space runs out, hopefully our new storage add-on upgrades will already be in place. Then you can just buy one of those to increase your storage space.

Let us know if you have any questions.

• The topic ‘storage’ is closed to new replies.