spam followers

• Why can’t WP stop spam followers by using the available lists of blog email spam? I wonder if other blog sites are able and willing to block spam followers?

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• I agree, I get quite a few spam followers. Drives me insane!

• I am researching if other blog sites have this problem to such a degree.

• Other blog sites don’t have the WordPress.com reader. They are never going to compromise their vision of that for our convenience, and that means making it able to funnel MORE things to us rather than fewer.

• It seems to me if WP wanted to commit the resources necessary to stop spam followers they could. Reliable lists of such spammers are available. I am spending too much time sorting and deleting these from my email. It is becoming more trouble than WP is worth to me. And I am paying yearly premiums for subscriptions and upgrades to WP.

• Our reality is that if the ability to remove or followers existed our time would be squandered on removing unwanted followers because anyone can get a new email address and or a new IP in seconds flat and then they can subscribe again to any public blog they were removed from.

If someone has an inappropriate rating for a Gravatar image, please log into to Gravatar and use the “Report Abuse” link on their Gravatar profile bottom right hand corner to let Staff know.

Also note that on this page > Settings > Discussion if you scroll down you will find you can set a Maximum Rating for gravatar display on your blog.

G — Suitable for all audiences
    PG — Possibly offensive, usually for audiences 13 and above
    R — Intended for adult audiences above 17
    X — Even more mature than above

If the follower has an inappropriate blog hosted here at WordPress.com, you can also report that to us so we can deal with that: Report Mature or Spam Blogs http://en.support.wordpress.com/report-blogs/

• Thank you for the suggestion, timethief. I do not see anything there about setting a “Maximum Rating for gravatar display”, but I did uncheck the “Email me whenever someone follows my blog” box. That should save me the aggravation of having to delete all those email notices. But I will have to remember to check for new followers.

• “Maximum Rating for gravatar display” is found here http://tjford3.wordpress.com/wp-admin/options-discussion.php scroll down and note it’s under the Avatars section following Gravatar Hovercards.

• The topic ‘spam followers’ is closed to new replies.