spam emails from WordPress

• Has anyone else had an experience like this? I get an email from WordPress telling me that someone (new) is following my blog. The only information I get is an email address. No profile, no website, no Gravatar. These people do not show up in my followers list. I could post a screenshot of one of these emails to show you what I am talking about, but the email address of the “follower” would show up. What do you think? Is it a scam? Are they trying to get me to click on the email link? Is there any way to contact WordPress to alert them to this and maybe get some help? All email addresses are from outlook. Any thoughts are appreciated!

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there, Staff have indicated that the developers are working to remove these outlook.com spam followers at the moment and they are posting updates in this thread in case you wish to subscribe:

https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/more-weird-likesfollows

• I am having a similar issue. I have seen past threads dating back to January 2018 about a similar issue, but mine is slightly different. I don’t have very many followers so I can easily figure out who visits my blog when and where.

March 24, 2018 – (one visitor was recorded in my stats on March 24) Got an email in my gmail saying new outlook subscriber started following my blog via email. New outlook subscriber visited one blog post (newest) from the USA (not unusual location for me). Stats say the referrer was WordPress.com Reader. Subscriber not show up in my email followers list.

March 25, 2018 – (one visitor was recorded in my stats on March 25) Got an email in my gmail saying new outlook subscriber started following my blog via email. New outlook subscriber visited all my blog posts, some once, some multiple times, from The Netherlands (not unusual location for me). Stats say no referrers were recorded for that day. Does not show up in my email followers list.

March 26, 2018 – Got an email in my gmail saying a new outlook subscriber started following my blog via email. Does not show up in my email followers list. Does not have any stats regarding any visits. (no one visited my blog on March 26)

At first I thought the first two subscribers were real and got excited and thought that they didn’t show up in my list of followers because there might have been a lag time in the system. But the third incident got me confused and that’s when I went searching for a solution and found out about the bogus outlook followers.

My blog is https://meowzyqrush.wordpress.com. Please advise.

• Hi meowzyqrush and laurieh111,

I see you have both commented in the main thread @justjennifer linked to, so I’m going to this one. Updates will be posted to the main thread as we continue to work on this.

• The topic ‘spam emails from WordPress’ is closed to new replies.