Renewing Domain

• I signed up for a domain through wordpress.com in November. I received mail from Domain Renewal Group to renew my domain name. I don’t know if this is legit. Do I pay them to renew my domain or do I go through WP.com? Thanks for your help!

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• If you search for Domain Renewal Group on Google you will soon realize that it’s a scam, designed to exploit people’s ignorance about how domain registration works. Do not renew your domain with them! If you bought your domain through wp.com, that is where you should renew it. A renewal notice with links/instructions is likely to appear on your dashboard about a month before your domain expires.

• THANK YOU SO MUCH! I had that feeling. It’s just kind of scary that they knew my address and other such information. Thanks again.

• The full name, address and email of any domain owner is ‘publicly’ accessible via whois.net. That is, unless the domain registrar provides a ‘privacy option’ by which nothing is made public; I’m not sure WordPress has that option. So what the Domain Renewal Group does is collecting these ‘public’ addresses and sending renewal notices, hoping that the unsuspecting domain owner will pay, so that they can rip you off, since their prices are ridiculously high compared to most (if not every) other domain registrars.

• Just a clarification to the above: Although whois-records are ‘public’ in the sense that they can be looked up, it is not legal to use the data for any other purpose than to verify or look up the domain owner. For every lookup, this is the whois-rule you agree to and which is stated with every lookup result:

“This information is provided for the sole purpose of assisting you in obtaining information about domain name registration records. Any use of this data for any other purpose is expressly forbidden without the prior written permission of this registrar. By submitting an inquiry, you agree to these terms of usage and limitations of warranty. In particular, you agree not to use this data to allow, enable, or otherwise make possible, dissemination or collection of this data, in part or in its entirety, for any purpose, such as the transmission of unsolicited advertising and solicitations of any kind, including spam.”

• The topic ‘Renewing Domain’ is closed to new replies.