Related posts?

• Well, it can indeed decrease hits, since those related links open in the same window, thus throwing people off your blog when they may otherwise have remained to click around.

• Infact this is exactly what I had said in all my earlier comments on RPF… “Decreasing hits is a high probability”. I just hope wordpress makes those links open in a NEW WINDOW, for it would enable many members to opt back for the feature.

But despite this limitation I would continue to opt for RPF. I have a strong conviction that if posts are relevant and give quality to readers then theres no reason why the reader wouldn’t hit on BACK button of the browser (though theres no way to ascertain this fact).

In any case, I would continue to keep a close watch on stats. Last 7 days haven’t been bad though… stats don’t show any incoming referrers (RPF) nor do they show outgoing clicks (RPF). It might also be because most hits on my blog are through search engine results, few through tags. So perhaps readers stick to what they really want to read. Another factor could be.. many RPF links show my own posts as first 1 or 2 links.

• You can test it; I just tested it on my brand-new blog, and those links all open in the existing window.

Statistics on using the Back button are not encouraging. Something over 80% of readers will close the window or click a new link rather than using Back if they don’t like the post they’re on…but I can’t remember where I saw that study.

The feature has much potential to recommend it; it’s just the current implementation that some of us have an issue with. If it were indeed customizable, even vaguely, then I’m sure it would be more popular.

For instance, four settings for outreach:
    1 within the blog,
    2 within everyone using the Possibly Related Posts on WordPress.com,
    3 within everyone using PRP and the Sphere Widget,
    4 or basically anywhere on the web (why limit it to MSM? Rupert Murdoch isn’t going to give me any money).

• Yes, I knew they open in the same window.

But don’t worry raincoaster… yours is one of the most popular blog ! Am sure your feedback is valuable for wordpress. And your feedback also proves fears expressed by lot of members. So wordpress might already be looking into it.

And despite using RPF, I agree with your points on improvements in RPF.

WP… Matt… please do heed to member requests.

• Thanks. I know they are looking into things, because Matt has emailed me about it. But the sole improvement I’ve seen from a user point of view since it was implemented is that it now says the links are automatically generated. I can see not one other benefit to the user as a result of changes to the function since it was introduced. They’ve certainly gotten enough feedback. I’d like to see something happen.

As popular as my blog is, I’ve good reason to believe that it’s going to systematically be left behind, and that the way this feature has been planned and executed, that is exactly what they expect and want to happen; they are giving carrots to people who put it on, while giving the stick to those who do not.

• “..they are giving carrots to people who put it on while giving the stick to those who do not. “

Your feedback generates more curiosity now. Perhaps you have analyzed the effects deeply. Please do share what carrots and sticks are these. It might help everyone in the process.

• I’ve been doing it for about three weeks now. I keep meaning to do one big blowout blog post about it, but so far all I’ve managed is a quote from Dante, a Nine Inch Nails video, and an image about Chinese militarism.

Basically: if you put it on your blog, you will see a few hits from a wide variety of sources. Over time, this will open a substantial gap between those who have the feature turned on and those who do not. The ones who benefit MOST from the feature, however, are the Mainstream Media sites, who do not have it turned on at all and thus will never give links to the blogs who are a constant source of hits for them.

• “…who do not have it turned on at all and thus will never give links to the blogs who are a constant source of hits for them.”

I think you have a point.

• Thanks. I would apply this feature in a snap if it could be restricted to sites that were ALSO using the Sphere widget or Possibly Related Posts. And I speak as one who’s gotten links directly from the Guardian, CNN, etc. If I want to link to them, I do. But I see no reason any blogger should give up his/her power to the establishment blogs were meant to circumvent. This is not a two-way street; it’s a way to reinforce the hegemony of the mainstream media.

Oh, there I go. You can tell I’m getting all fired up when I use the word “hegemony.”

Anyway, it’s four in the morning my time and I JUST finished my paid work for the day. See why I haven’t done that big blog post yet?

The only reason I have so many posts in the forum is that it’s the fastest website to load on my machine. I generally answer two or three questions while waiting for a web page to open.

• The topic ‘Related posts?’ is closed to new replies.