Pricing Feedback

• severityoftests · Member ·

While we’re making a few changes to the Free plan, rest assured that if you’re already signed up, nothing will change for you. Ditto, if you’re on one of our legacy plans, nothing will change unless you want it to.

This doesn’t say what I can expect if I’m currently on the Personal plan and the time comes for renewal next year. Will I be able to renew into the Personal plan (which is what should happen if nothing will change) or will I have only the Free and Pro plans to choose from?

• @ jerrysarcastic:

I love the phrase “it will not be possible”.

Legacy plans went through various iterations before settling in their current form, so I’m fairly certain “it’s possible” to add/remove/create options for them. Automattic is, after all, the master of its domain.

Current (new) plans are — as stated — in the process of being tweaked. So, again, it certainly seems possible, especially if wanting to keep existing users happy.

What you meant to say was “we decided against it” when addressing requests for the option of added storage for legacy plans (for an additional fee).

. . . one could add: “because it means more money for us since people needing more storage in their current plans will have no choice but to upgrade to the costlier plan . . . unless they choose to delete existing content”.

But, who knows. Maybe it really is impossible. Software and technology are, after all, immutable . . . or so I’m often told.

• In 2021 I paid in advanced for the Premium plan for the next few years. The reason I did this was that I trust WordPress.com, I believe WordPress.com will be a reliable and stable platform. Also, I wanted to feel like at home.

Today I’m curious what will happen if I decide to upgrade from Premium plan to Pro plan, do I have to pay 100% in full or do I only have to pay the difference (Pro plan price – Premium plan price I already paid in advanced for several years ahead).

After consulting via email, I received an answer that I can only paid the difference for 1 year (using pro-rate credit) after that I will have to pay 100%.

So, what about the remaining Premium plan that I have already paid in advance for the next years?

Vanished. Back to zero.

Because of that, I am not interested to upgraded since I will lose my already paid money.

I hope this can be one of the feedback.

• Hi there @blogdiakhir.

I was able to pull up your email correspondence and have replied to you there to clarify some things regarding your upgrades. Please let me know if you do not see the reply. Thank you!

• Hi there @staff-doublebassd

Thank you so much for the clarification on the latest email. I will reply the email soon. Thank you!

• Hi WordPress!

As far as feedback is concerned, there’s no way a much reduced free plan and a costly pro plan are better choices to have than the previous ones that were fairer and helpfully accounted for a variety of people’s needs. So there goes that!

That being said, personally I do find the Pro plan an attractive proposition subject to waiting for its final form.

Your original post accepts that you are still working on rationalising international prices , especially for regions like India and Brazil ; that there are a la carte options in the making ; and monthly payments options are being considered as well.

So kindly provide some specifics as to when might these final changes be expected, especially international pricing for India (for as someone pointed here before, the price for the Pro plan for Indian customers right now is even higher than the one for the Business Plan earlier for it’s simply a mathematical conversion of Dollar prices to Rupees).

I need to make a final decision on going Pro here or looking elsewhere, and need to do that in a month or so. I’m sure there are many others waiting for the final form of your plans as well. So some reasonable idea of the time to expect for that will be appreciated. A fortnight? a month? More? Something concrete, please. At least in the matter of international pricing.

• @ajitsharmatheone I don’t personally have an ETA, but can you let us know which extra features you’ll need right away?

• @supernovia

Not extra features per se, but I wait primarily for the final India pricing for the Pro plan. Or does WordPress have no plans for different pricing for specific regions like India, Brazil, etc (the original post in this thread suggested you’re working on that)?

I can take the plunge into the Pro plan after the final India pricing comes in, and monthly payments option should smoothen the journey even so.

I just hope WordPress finalises these changes quickly enough. I’ve been on a premium plan for a year here through another account of mine (@wordpur) and though I didn’t work much on it, and deleted that account a few days ago, I quite liked how things worked on your platform.

So I wait for working on a new blog now, and seeing as the old plans don’t exist any more, the Pro plan seems attractive enough to me. I might yet wait for a month or two for the final India pricing (if that’s to happen at all!) And the monthly payments options should be a big help as well if or not the international pricing is rationalised.

• I’m sorry to say but this is really disappointing, I didn’t expect this from WordPress. I had decided to upgrade my plan from free to the business plan but thanks to this new change that no one needed, now I’m not even sure if I should continue with my blog or not. And I’m sure that I’m not the only one going through this, most of your users are against this change. I urge you to bring back the previous plans, at least the premium and business plan, these plans are needed.

• Hi @poorwavishwakarma. I’ve been trying to take notes on the feedback, so just to clarify, which features did you need on Business that are not on Pro? This could be space, monthly payments, both, something else — we just want to be sure this gets tracked properly. Thanks in advance!

• Hi @supernovia,

Many thanks to you and the team for listening to the input or suggestion.

I have 3 suggestions.

1. Provide a middle plan between Free and Pro as a safety net. If someone who uses a Pro account suddenly encounters financial problems, he will not immediately fall to Free, but he can downgrade to the plan below the Pro. I’ve done that with my other account, I used Business account for almost 2 years after that I downgrade to Premium.

2. Provide a monthly payment method.

3. Apply prices tailored to your country location & provide a wider choice of payment methods. In my country the legacy plan price was actually lower, unfortunately the payment method must use credit card in order to enjoy the lower price.

• Sorry for my English, I just copy paste from google translate

• @blogdiakhir the English is just fine, and very clear. Thank you for the feedback!

• And thank you too, @ajitsharmatheone; we’ve got that noted as well.

Thanks everyone, in fact. I’m hoping we’ll have more info to share soon.

• What is taking so long to get this information about these so called “a la carte” options? This janky “Pro” plan has been out long enough, and this thread is 7 pages long now with enough feedback that your company should know this isn’t the way to go.

My brother asked me this weekend to help him build a new website for his locksmith business, and after I told him what your company has done, he said there will be some shopping around for alternative. There’s no way all businesses need this Pro plan. Not all businesses need plugins. Some just need a custom domain and ad removal so that they can have a website to hand out to people. The same applies to many small bloggers.

I did some calculations and your Pro plan as you say is NOT A MONEY SAVER. In fact it is a rip off compared to your Business plan. For $300 per year on your Business plan we could get 200GB storage at just $1.50 per GB. On this Pro plan, it costs $3.60 per GB and you only get 50GB storage. That’s not economical.

Also I want to know this. If we have a domain that we haven’t worked on and need to let our current plan expire for awhile, but keep the domain until time has been had to build up that website (which will remove the .com as primary), when ready to add a plan back to it in order to utilize the associated .com domain, are you telling me that for a website we’re used to paying $48 or $96 for, we’ll now have no choice to but to buy in on this Pro plan?

• Hi @dtpiixart,

What is taking so long to get this information about these so called “a la carte” options?

We do not have an ETA regarding new information at the moment but rest assured it is being worked on and is a priority.

Also I want to know this. If we have a domain that we haven’t worked on and need to let our current plan expire for awhile, but keep the domain until time has been had to build up that website (which will remove the .com as primary), when ready to add a plan back to it in order to utilize the associated .com domain, are you telling me that for a website we’re used to paying $48 or $96 for, we’ll now have no choice to but to buy in on this Pro plan?

Good question. Historically, if a user allows a legacy upgrade to expire, that upgrade will no longer be available whenever they are ready to renew the subscription – at that point, they would only have access to the current upgrades available. However, the à la carte options will hopefully address the gap between free and Pro. You will most likely find it comparable to the retired plans, but with added flexibility to only select the features that you need.

We’d be happy to take a look at your particular issue if this happens – so don’t hesitate to reach out.

Hope this helps.

• I am an artist manager helping DIY artists and music students get started with their first website. I have always recommended wordpress to both students and to professional artists specifically because of the tiered pricing option and the fact that they can start with a personal plan and then upgrade when they need it. Over the last two years I have personally helped set up 50+ websites on wordpress. Removing the personal plan makes wordpress more expensive than any of my artists or students can afford at the outset. It is very unfortunate that it was not announced, as I continued to promote wordpress and its pricing options, and have been receiving emails from confused students because of your ‘policy’ of not communicating with your customers. Pricing has always been the main thing that wordpress had over other hosting platforms for my audience, so I will no longer be recommending wordpress, and unless this changes shortly, I will be moving my own sites as well. I understand that prices need to change from time to time, but this is not the way to do it, or the way to treat people who have put their faith your product.

• In a news portal, at the beginning of April, the drastic change in the offer of WordPress.com’s plans was published. Many people shared their opinion about it by leaving a comment at the end of the article. One of them especially caught my attention, and I even thought of posting it again on this forum. But I thought it might seem a bit rude because of the way the user was expressing himself, so I decided not to. Even so, almost twenty days having passed since the pre-existing plans were cancelled, apparently forever, I think it is convenient to summarize what this comment had to say. The message was as follows:

This comment forum appears to be a politically correctness movement to make users feel like their opinions are being taken into account, but at the end of the day it won’t change the outcome at all.

You will leave the two plans that now exist, perhaps add some modest modification to them, and you will add an intermediate plan to calm things down a bit (although not in a significant way).

That is what you will do. So we, the users, will continue to feel let down and betrayed by WordPress.com.

Let’s face reality. If you really wanted to fix this problem, you would have done it quickly by offering an apology and restoring pre-existing plans. That will not happen.

• I am really disappointed, and frustrated at the expectation of having to look for new options on other platforms in order to grow my website in the future.

• We are listening, keeping track of requests, and aiming to let you all know when we have official updates regarding your feedback. Those will be coming. I’m sorry the timing is leading to doubts.

Until then, we won’t be saying much here, just listening. But if any of you need individual help with an account issue beyond feedback in the meantime, please let us know in a separate thread or ticket so we can get that sorted for you.

• The topic ‘Pricing Feedback’ is closed to new replies.