polls, edit template, adsense

• the polls?
    edit template?
    adsense?
    all in wordpress.com!
    is necessary!

• You can’t put adsense on a site you don’t own. You don’t own your .com blog. Therefore you can’t put adsense on it.

• Not to mention you can’t edit any template files.

• Except blogger blogs, but then google owns it all doesn’t it!

• Question: if you think all these things are necessary, why are you using wordpress.com rather than, say, blogger, which offers them all?

I’m not dissing you, I’m genuinely interested. I think the lack of customisation in wordpress.com is a positive feature for people who just want to write, and don’t want to mess with code or have a million different widgets they’ll never use.

edited to add: ok, yeah, before anyone points it out, blogger doesn’t have polls. but I bet they let you put in javascript for third-party poll sites.

• “wank” I tend to believe .com rolled out to the public a bit too early, not that that is a bad thing.

But, as you may be aware in it’s current state it is lacking some features most people want/need. (A contact page in each theme for example)

On the other hand are those that expect everything for nothing. It doesn’t work that way whether in the blogosphere or elsewhere.

Anyone that has dealt with Blogger or know it’s history (Spam blogs, viral sites etc) understands the reluctance on the part of WP.com to allow any core/template modifications.

And honestly with the cost of hosting today there is no reason not to go the WP.org route and have access to all the modifications you desire.

• But if you do that (per marc’s suggestion), be sure you do so BEFORE you have a bazillion posts on a .com blog – because there’s no way to export them for use elsewhere….

You could always link to a .com blog from a self-hosted one elsewhere, but that’s problematic in other directions.

• @marc: I agree, and personally I’d never use wordpress.com for anything important; the lack of control would drive me nuts. That’s OK. I’m not the kind of user Matt’s targeting. What I don’t get is why anyone would sign up for a service without features they think are ‘necessary’, and then complain that the site they’d chosen didn’t offer them. It seems to me much simpler just to start a blog on a site that gives you what you want. It’s not like you haven’t got dozens to choose from.

• What I don’t get is why anyone would sign up for a service without features they think are ‘necessary’, and then complain that the site they’d chosen didn’t offer them.

AMEN!!!

• Oh BTW there is a way to import a WP.com to a hosted WordPress blog, its not pretty but it’ll work…

• .com is great, but like any piece of software / service there are always a million ways it can be improved and the best way to know which ones to focus on is by letting the users tell you. Hence an Ideas forum.
    I don’t think the way to do this is to say to users “If you don’t like it here, use another service.”

• Question: if you think all these things are necessary, why are you using wordpress.com rather than, say, blogger, which offers them all?

Because blogger also has limitation and on weighting both sides choose WP?

Idea suggesting not idea demanding. To sum up what sparks this thread.

• But the point is, please let us edit our templates. And Blogger users are encouraged to use Adsense. I know Google owns them, but why couldn’t Word Press users put Adsense in the .com blogs? In fact, I know TypePad users use Adsense, and I can tell the domains are just redirecting, because I’ve noticed the URL change.

So those arguments in the first reply are dumb.

Well, WordPress.com is useless to me: off to Blogger!

• “Well, WordPress.com is useless to me: off to Blogger!”

If your that impatient and can’t wait for somthing that will be included at a later date so be it. But I would suggest keeping your options open. The bottom line is the developers of WP.com have made a decision based on watching Google/Blogger make a mess of their system by allowing splogers, viral infected blogs, etc, etc with little or no support from the compnay.

• marc, i don’t mind waiting for various features like adsense to be implemented, but is there a timeline i can look to find if it will be done in 2006, or later?

• vellithra, the problem with adsense isn’t a timeline, it’s the fact that you don’t “own” the wp.com blog. See google’s adsense tos….

• I thought this was a settled issue?

it’s the fact that you don’t “own” the wp.com blog.

MT’s Typepad bloggers don’t “own” their blogs either, yet they have the option to place Adsense, among others on their blogs.

vellithira – I have not heard of any timeline but feel sure it will be announced very loudly when and if it is.

• I dunno marc, I talked to google a few days ago again (about an “elsewhere” situation) and they reiterated that “hosted blogs” are not “owned”, therefore ads cannot be inserted. I have no idea about MT – unless it’s the fact that MT charges a fee?

• Actually I do know, I coauthor a typepad blog and it has Adsense ads and no fee is charged by Six Apart.

• The topic ‘polls, edit template, adsense’ is closed to new replies.