Please Reinstate the Option of Choice to Use the Old Publishing Format

• Galois, how can I get rid of that new beep boop editor and get bac kthe old one? I’m telling you, I can’t scroll on that page, so if there is a tab, I cna’t see it.
    I have read most of this 15 page thread, but I still cna’t see an easy way to get back to the old editor.
    Oh, and thank you for your help and knowledge. I appreciate your time and input.

• @thewallpaperlady
    There are a couple of workarounds available.
    The easiest is to use the script I wrote. Alternatively, you can also bookmark the appropriate links.

• @thewallpaperlady

I now always go via the ‘All Posts’ and ‘All Pages’ pages.
    ‘Add New’ and ‘Edit’ buttons from here, seem to call the Classic editor and not the New Editor.

• @thewallpaperlady

I now always go via the ‘All Posts’ and ‘All Pages’ pages.
    ‘Add New’ and ‘Edit’ buttons from here, seem to call the Classic editor and not the New Editor.

Yes, me too, @hopnut @thewallpaperlady

• Something that bugs me is that instead of wasting resources tinkering with the site, they could just speed it up a bit. Why is it as soon as you have more than a few links and pics it starts to slow right down. That is not good for anyone, users, visitors or ultimately WordPress or Automaticc profits. So why don’t they do something about that instead of spoiling the things that were good about the site? It’s obvious it all worked fairly well as it was, or WordPress would not have become so popular. So then it’s illogical to change it, even in the name of progress.

• I have my own issues with the New Editor, and for educational purpose, would love to learn more about how the usability testing was handled, but I don’t think it’s fair to vilify WordPress/Automattic as a profit-focused company who doesn’t care about users.

They actually do a lot for the blogging community in ways that don’t bring them revenue, like:
    – the free Blogging University https://dailypost.wordpress.com/blogging-university or
    – go to court on their own buck to stand up for bloggers’ rights. http://torrentfreak.com/wordpress-wins-25000-from-dmca-takedown-abuser-150305/ (seriously, which other blogging service would do that?)

Now, pragmatically speaking, @jeremeylduvall (WordPress staff) said he’d try to put together a list of what’s on the WP “planning to fix” roster, and itemize the things that WP has firmly decided not to change
    https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/please-reinstate-the-option-of-choice-to-use-the-old-publishing-format/page/10?replies=419#post-2318572

To have more clarity on the situation (and this thread of 400+ posts!), let’s wait for the list to know what can be lobbied for improvements.

In the meantime, @tpenguinltg has reminded us of some great workarounds for the missing link to the Classic editor:
    – apply his script https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/please-reinstate-the-option-of-choice-to-use-the-old-publishing-format/page/4?replies=441#post-2311725
    – or bookmark the appropriate links https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/new-improved-edit-interface-is-still-deleting-numeric-tags/page/2?replies=21#post-2318879

• If WordPress really wanted to fix something that NEEDED fixing, they could have started with the title under the pic gallery (as per Torcross Chapel under the playlist) which appears about 2cm away from the pictures! It looks ridiculous!

And it’s even worse with the title under the vids (as per End Trophy Hunting Now) which is over an inch away from the previous vid it refers to and sits right on the top of the next vid which it doesn’t refer to. It looks ridiculous and it is annoying to see how time passes without WordPress doing anything to put it right. Then they do this!

At least it is gratifying that as WordPress have some very talented writers they are now getting hoisted with their own petard!

• @jeremeylduvall

WordPress.com is moving in a direction that will allow users to manage multiple sites from one central location.

Many, many WP users seem to have managed just fine for many years running multiple blogs that each had their own admin sections. Whose idea was this new “direction”? This sounds like another example of fixing something that isn’t broken, which – between the problems with the new/old editor and the new/old stats – sadly seems to becoming characteristic of how WP treats its users.

• @guaiava …. It’s good to be reminded of the positive actions of WP in protecting the rights of bloggers and education. One hopes that this will extend to those of us actively blogging and commenting on recent changes. The “Happiness Engineers” seem to have become oxymorons …

Ideally it would be nice to wait for Jeremeylduvall’s list of things which ” WP has firmly decided not to change.” But that appears to be a pipe dream because it seems WP makes the changes and then suddenly they appear without warning as we sign in and begin to work on a project. Boom! The new Stats page appears and one needs Dramamine to combat the dizzy scrolling. Or the “new improved” editor pops up to surprise us.

The problem is that once the “upgrades” are foisted on us, then a “Happiness Engineer” appears to tell us that it’s a “fait accompli” and won’t be changed. And NO choice will be given. I don’t see much “happiness” here. Looks like a Subaru Car Ad where they try to equate “LOVE” with a “Subaru”.

And this

@jeremeylduvall

WordPress.com is moving in a direction that will allow users to manage multiple sites from one central location.

This is incomprehensible The old stats page allowed me to access all six of my blogs with a simple drop down menu … and all conveniently appeared in the stats format. In other words I could check all my stats in a series of single clicks. Now in the “new improved upgraded stats” page I can’t. I have to go back to “My Sites” then click onto the new site, then click again onto that site stats and then finally wobble my way to the info I need. Instead of 6 clicks for 6 sites … I have over 36 clicks and 36 screens. Is THIS managing “multiple sites”. I don’t think so. No matter what a Happiness Engineers is programmed to tell me.

• @tpenguinltg

There are a couple of workarounds available.
    The easiest is to use the script I wrote. Alternatively, you can also bookmark the appropriate links.

Unfortunately this script does not appear to work with private blogs – presumably something to do with translating blogid ?

• I’ll a my vote to restoring Classic editor. The ‘new and improved’ one is hideous, and ugly to boot.

It seems wrong to charge people for premium, domain names, then pull a switcheroo.

• RIGHT — I AM NOW GOING TO LOSE MY TEMPER.

If you toggle between the new editor and the old, there are circumstances when all the text gets bunched up and hard returns disappear. Don’t ask me to do a controlled experiment. Trust me, it happens. It happens when you ALTERNATE between the editors, as we now almost being forced to do.

For 45 minutes my last post was reduced to gobbledegook while I manually sorted the mess out. I even changed the status to “draft” in the new editor while I was doing this and it remained published.

WE ARE GETTING FED UP WITH DISCUSSING THE AMATEURISH MESS WHICH WP ARE MAKING OF A CHANGE WHICH IS BASICALLY UNNECESSARY IN THE FIRST PLACE. We want to get on with our work and not have these discussions. We appreciate your efforts here, but we should not be talking about this. Thank you!

• And apologies in advance is this is deemed to be too harsh, but why did that happen?

• @knashermac2009
    I didn’t think to test with private blogs. I have a hunch that it’s an API limitation and that you won’t be able to access that info without an API key. I’ll have a look at it.

• @tpenguinltg

I didn’t think to test with private blogs.

Anybody would think you were trying to get a job at WP! Only joking. Thanks for your help – much appreciated.

• Thanks for the bug report, knashermac2009. Redirection should work properly now for private and Jetpack-enabled blogs (current version: v1.2.2).
    You can either wait for the script to update itself or reinstall the script manually to get the update immediately.

• I should mention that because of the API limitation, the page will load completely before redirecting for private and Jetpack-enabled blogs.

• This new editor simply sucks. Not only does it take my recipes and put the listed ingredients into PARAGRAPH form! (unacceptable) but I can no longer UNDERLINE a word, I can no longer CHANGE TEXT TO COLORED TEXT (unacceptabe) whidh is necessary for cautionaryu baking notes, The BeepBop screen is an annoying waste of time, the categories aren’t showing for simple checking off, recently had to refresh my Firefox which recreates my user profile so my old cookies are GONE! Man, I’m wanting to move to a new hosting site if this doesn’t get fixed. I simply have to use the old editor with a recipe blog! I need that link option to use the old editor for these much needed features. This change makes my editing basically dysfunctional as far as I’m concerned……and I need to edit recipes as I improve them.

• What the developers don’t seem to get – and after reading pages and pages of complaints here I believe they DON’T WANT to get it – is that they, for whatever reasons, ignored the old programmers’ adage “don’t change a running system”. They simply refuse to acknowledge that thry created a mess.
    So, you developer guys: just put the old editor back and put the new one where it belongs, that is in the trash can.

• The topic ‘Please Reinstate the Option of Choice to Use the Old Publishing Format’ is closed to new replies.