Personal Blog Site – Paid to Free

• Hi, I have really enjoyed working with WordPress for my blog site, http://www.loughransinhungary.com. I am finishing up my service mission and would like to keep the site if possible, for future reference but I don’t want to pay every year for the site. I won’t be updating the site after July 10th and my subscription runs out at the end of the year (2023). I heard that my site will automatically revert to a free subscription, but I have about 5gb of photos on that site and I believe the limit for the free version is 1gb. I could lower the resolution to get to 1gb but I think that will be painful. Any suggestions on the best path forward?

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hey there,

Thank for reaching out.

You’re only using 2.5GB, and so only need to lose 1.5GB. Most of the images are in the KB’s in size, so I suspect there’s not much optimisation to be had there with those.

There are a number of images that are in the MB’s in size and so I suspect if you were to focus on those, collectively, you could look to shave off 1.5GB. This guide here could be quite useful in achieving that: https://en.support.wordpress.com/media/image-optimization/

Additionally, I notice a number of GIF’s are quite large also, and so I would look to host these elsewhere, for example GIPHY https://giphy.com/create/gifmaker or perhaps uploading them to YouTube as a video.

I hope this helps!

• Thank you…that is helpful. I will have about 8 more posts so I will even lower the resolution down a bit more. I can also remove a lot of images and even many of the GIF’s. One more question, Is there anyway to replace the current images in my media bucket with lower resolution files (same file name) and not have to switch the photos in the posts themselves? In other words, I’d like to just swap the images with lower res files that have the same name and the posts will now just display the new low res image?

•  Is there anyway to replace the current images in my media bucket with lower resolution files (same file name) and not have to switch the photos in the posts themselves?

I’m sorry to say that it’s not possible to replace all of the high-resolution images with the lower-resolution version at once on the Personal Plan. You will need to manually go into each post and replace the image one by one. After replacing each image, you will also need to delete the old, high-resolution image from your media library.

Alternatively, you could consider reducing the overall cost of your plan? If you switch to the free plan, you will lose the ability to use your loughransinhungary.com domain on your site. However, you could save $19 per year by not paying for the domain and still keep the Personal Plan for $48 per year, which should provide you with ample storage space for your media files without requiring you to go through all the extra work. It’s something to consider!

Let us know if you have any other questions!

• The topic ‘Personal Blog Site – Paid to Free’ is closed to new replies.