No right click, comment box, and background question .

• Do these kinds of things work if you have CSS upgrade?
    No right click code :

<script language=JavaScript>
    <!–

//Disable right click script III- By Renigade ((email visible only to moderators and staff))
    //For full source code, visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com

var message=””;
    ///////////////////////////////////
    function clickIE() {if (document.all) {(message);return false;}}
    function clickNS(e) {if
    (document.layers||(document.getElementById&&!document.all)) {
    if (e.which==2||e.which==3) {(message);return false;}}}
    if (document.layers)
    {document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);document.onmousedown=clickNS;}
    else{document.onmouseup=clickNS;document.oncontextmenu=clickIE;}

document.oncontextmenu=new Function(“return false”)
    // –>
    </script>

& can you change how the comment box looks and the background with CSS upgrade or no ?
    I only get how you can send the font size and colors, and changing the width of the blog ;

• The CSS upgrade will allow you to use any recognized CSS to change things around. Using Javascript, applets or any other code is stripped out at wordpress.com, so that will not work. The CSS upgrade doesn’t allow you to change the template either, so you are stuck with changing more of the basic design and color elements only.

Trent

• The only thing I’ve found that disables right-click are the themes Monotone and Duotone. But they each allow you only one image per post at full size; the rest have to be in a gallery.

• Disabling right clicks is just annoying. It just provides a false sense of protection for your images (if that’s what you want to use it for) since there are ways to get an image if someone is so inclined to do it.

If you want to make it a bit more difficult for someone to get your images, this might interest you:

http://csswiz.wordpress.com/2009/08/16/cover-your-images/

• @devblog
    I agree. It’s not only annoying but it doesn’t work and getting around it is easy. I usually recommend watermarking all images before uploading them. There are many free watermarking programs available on line and some allow bulk watermarking. Thanks for posting that link because your approach is more sophisticated. :)

• If right click was disabled it doesn’t stop the person from using screen capture software to obtain the material.

• You don’t even need to do that, but it DOES prevent really low-level theft and those who don’t know any better, and they are a significant percentage of the online image-takers. It’s like the bar on your steering wheel; it means your car is safe from amateurs and beginners and the lazy. And online, most people are amateurs and beginners or the lazy. I was just talking with a friend who had all her images stolen by hotlinking (and she PAYS for bandwidth).

• PD Devblog, that is brilliant!

• The topic ‘No right click, comment box, and background question .’ is closed to new replies.