New "improved" edit interface is still deleting numeric tags.

• For those interested, I wrote a user script to force a redirect to the classic editing interface.
    On GreasyFork: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/8581-wordpress-com-edit-post-redirects
    On GitHub: https://github.com/tpenguinltg/wpcom-edit-post-redirect.user.js
    You’ll need Greasemonkey or a similar addon to use it.

• You can always find the old/legacy/classic/the best editor…
    screenshot: https://cloudup.com/cfMJ02ama_r

Thanks for the tip galois. I can now access all my categories, which seem to be truncated in the new editor.

It took me a little while to work out what the screen shot was indicating, so for the benefit of other slow people:
    Click on WP Admin under “my sites”.
    Click on Posts, then Add New, or select an existing post and click Edit.

That should bring up the old editor

• Thanks for the tip galois. I can now access all my categories, which seem to be truncated in the new editor.

You’re welcome, @dougaj4

It took me a little while to work out what the screen shot was indicating, so for the benefit of other slow people:
    Click on WP Admin under “my sites”.
    Click on Posts, then Add New, or select an existing post and click Edit.

That should bring up the old editor

You’re right. I’m live in Spain, and my blog is spanish. Thanks for the translation. :)

• Reading the whole thread, and request for feedback from Rachel:

Access to my categories is a big issue for me. I won’t use the new editor unless that is fixed. I haven’t used the new version enough to say if there are any other major issues.

The other aspect of the recent interface changes I really dislike is the new stats page. There is less information, and what there is, is hard to read because of the reduced width of the display boxes. For instance, on the list of referrers I can’t see enough of the address to tell where they have come from.

Please do not remove the link to the old stats (and preferably move it back up to the top).

• Please bring back the classic editor. The new one is awful. Forcing people to use it and not allowing us to default to the classic is complete laziness on the wordpress development team and a bad management decision.

• Why on earth does the new editor not show all categories??? They stop at E in my case. This is just sloppy.

• The issue was reported to our team, but I can’t guarantee if or when our developers will have an opportunity to address the issue. (Reported issues are generally prioritized in terms of how critical they are and how many people they affect

May I politely suggest that ‘the’ team spend a little more time fixing defects and a little less time developing unnecessary change, and inflicting upon their disgruntled user community?

Or, if per chance they are not one team, that some members of the “Unnecessary Change Implementation Team” go join the ‘Defect Resolution Team”.

Have been so impressed by WordPress, for so long.
    Rapidly becoming less so.
    Which, frankly, is a great shame.

But, why listen to us? We only use the thing.

Thank you.

• It seems the new editor only allows 20 categories! When will this be fixed? Why are we even talking about this?

• Clearly the new edit interface has serious drawbacks; that’s very apparent from the comments here. (I also don’t like and never use the new stats page, as it has much less information organized in far less logical fashion than the old stats page). There is obviously a strong argument for at least making the classic interface optional, as opposed to trying to shepherd users toward the new interface by making the old one harder to find and use.

But I just want to be clear: my main issue in making this topic was to ask when the glitch regarding numeric tags will be fixed. I understand Rachel’s response to that question to be essentially “it will never be fixed, or if it is, it won’t be soon.” I would like to renew my request for clarification, if A) that is indeed what she meant, and B) if it is, why, when I originally asked that question five months ago, was that answer not made clear at that time.

I’m not trying to be a pest here, but the numeric tag issue really is a big one for some of us here with certain kinds of blogs, and I’d hate to see it just fade away without any real resolution.

Thanks again, WordPress, for your attention to this issue.

• @seanmunger
    Sincerest apologies for hijacking your topic a little there, and taking it off topic – sincerely.
    Bad show.

• @seanmunger, sorry for hijacking the topic – wordpress staff closed a thread that was about the classic theme and re-directed us to here to post further comments :(

• @seanmunger, I also hope WP reply properly to you. It’s a terrible situation to have a lot of content degraded by ill-thought through software changes, and for it then to be implied that you might not be important enough for it to get fixed.

• I am a bit tired of these “YOU’VE GOT TO USE THE MODE WE GIVE YOU” switches. I’ve just clicked the edit button at bottom of an older post and it has NO link to switch is back to Classic mode. BRING BACK THAT LINK, PLEASE!!!!

Why does WP seem to be so “against” us using the Classic mode?

• Hi Sean,

I wouldn’t have to do this if the glitch involving the deletion of numeric tags is fixed. From your initial response, I understand you to mean that this glitch is not being fixed by the engineers, and may never be. Can you clarify that that’s what you meant?

The issue was reported to our developers, and I brought it to their attention again after your previous message. I’m sorry I didn’t make it clear the first time around that it may not be fixed right away — I do my best to clearly report any bugs or other issues to our team, but after that the team has to prioritize and work through those reports. Sometimes if the fix is obvious and quick to implement the issue can be resolved right away, and other times it may take longer or be lower priority compared to other reported bugs. In this case, one of our team members is looking now at the issue but I can’t guarantee we’ll come up with a solution right away.

• @rachelmcr, I think what bothered people was that you did not sound sure they would deal with it at all, either sooner or later. This is about basic functionality. So is the need to see ALL your categories in the new editor. It shouldn’t have been released with bugs on that scale.

Thanks.

• @rachelmcr as there are a lot of bugs and bad coding designs with the new editor, can the classic editor link be put back in until the developers fix it? Obviously, this is not going to be an easy fix

• Help! Can’t access classic editor or classic composer

I’ve always composed my WordPress.com posts in classic. Those posts need to be edited in classic, because the new “beep beep boop” editor idiotically destroys the formatting, smooshing all the paragraphs together, etc.

Until today, I could still edit my posts using the classic editor. But now when I try and edit them (by reading a post and clicking Edit near the bottom), they turn up in a smooshed state and there’s no longer an option to switch to the classic editor, which handled them correctly.

If (as I fear) WordPress has discontinued the classic editor and composer without notice and without adequate testing, this is a serious problem. Please bring back the classic editor and classic composer. Please keep them permanently as easily accessible options. At a minimum, do not replace them until the serious bugs in the new editor have been fixed. Thank you. My blog is here:

https://ethicsandspirituality.wordpress.com/

and the formatting bugs in the new editor are particularly frustrating when trying to edit long posts with many paragraphs, since WordPress.com users have to manually reformat all the paragraphs which have been smooshed together by the “new improved” editor.

UPDATE: I find from research that there’s a workaround to get into the classic editor via WP Administration: Posts, but this is inconvenient and unintuitive. When I read my blog and click on Edit, I need to get to the classic editor quickly and easily. Making this harder won’t make end users like the new editor any better (quite the opposite!), it will just make them consider leaving WordPress.

I do see many positives in WordPress.com, but management needs to please listen to end users and not foist pointless and idiotic changes on them. Most long-time bloggers need stability in the UI first and foremost. I am so sick of logging on and trying to figure out what the latest “upgrade” has broken, and how to do simple tasks I’m used to doing when the UI keeps “obsoleting” tried-and-true methods. Thank you.

P.S. Prior to the latest update, when it was still possible to switch from the new editor to the classic editor, the process was nevertheless buggy. It went something like this:

1. Read a post.

2. Hit the Edit button

3. See the ridiculous Beep Beep Boop screen.

4. Be delivered unto the new editor and see your paragraphs smooshed together.

5. Click on the “Switch to classic editor” link.

6. Arrive in the classic editor, and be greeted by a cryptic message saying that a newer version of your post is available in Autosave.

7. Discover through trial-and-error that the new editor Autosaves a mangled version of your original post before it switches you to the classic editor. Thus, when you arrive in the classic editor, you need to *ignore* the message about there being a newer version, since that’s the version the new editor mangled and Autosaved.

8. Begin editing. (Wasn’t that easy?)

Does management ever read the forums? If so, please take note of how FUBAR the editing process has become thanks to “upgrades” claiming to bring users a “new, improved” experience. Thanks again.

• I just noticed what dawntreader72014 mentioned. This is quite terrible for the beep bop boop editor to remove all line breaks. As I and many others have mentioned before,

KEEP BOTH EDITORS AVAILABLE FOR US… ALWAYS…

Overall, I love WP, and would rather not change. But things like this tend to send me over a cliff. So I repeat, PLEASE…

KEEP BOTH EDITORS AVAILABLE FOR US… ALWAYS…

• @rachelmcr

Thanks very much for your clarification. I appreciate it.

In my view, the fact that this glitch is unlikely to be repaired any time soon–which is clearly the case given the lack of action after five months of waiting–lends considerable cogency to the arguments of which you’re no doubt aware in this topic about bringing back the “edit in classic mode” feature.

This seems like an absolute no-brainer to me. If you’re not going to fix the glitch, you need to reinstate “edit in classic mode.” What’s difficult about this decision?

• Reminder — this thread is about bringing back numeric tags. Also about the ridiculous “capping” of the number of categories we can use in the new editor.

• The topic ‘New "improved" edit interface is still deleting numeric tags.’ is closed to new replies.