New Format for Reader/WordPress Website

• The new reader format doe not show if some has posted a series of photos. It only shows one of the photos. This is problematic for people who post series, as people may assume there is only one photo. It also makes it problematic for those of us who surf Reader to view the photos of others to know when there is a series or a single photograph. I sincerely hope this will be changed as it will make it problematic for me.

• Let me also add that if the post begins with a text there is no way of knowing that the post even has photographs in it.

• That’s interesting because it means we are opposites. For my purposes and use if the Reader displayed only links titles to posts I would be in seventh heaven. At present it displays full posts and that is why I am unfollowing blogs en masse.

• Same here! I don’t know why the blog surfer disappeared but now my friend’s blogs are almost unreadable except page by page.

• @Timethief agh, we should switch, LOL!

• Great Leaping Lizards! They just changed it yet again. Seriously,if all my stuff is going to be on the home page of WordPress.com, rather than on my own blog’s dashboards then that’s yet another incentive to move back to self-hosting.

• Still looks like only part of the Post – but thumbnail pictures are gone and the text size if huge – I am not impressed – much harder to see what is new – not a great leap forward

• @ameliespp
    My patience is nearly all used up. Biting tongue and trying hard not to scream!

• @Timethief I love great leaping lizards, that pretty much sums it up! What on earth are they doing? Now I can’t even tell which blogger is posting these articles with the gigantic blocky font. I just barely got used to the unattractive annoying “infinity” reader and now this?

Not happy!

• Is there a reason everything is gigantic?

• What is this? What is this?

OK, the menu bar at the top that lets me do anything useful is gone; now I can only access any of the functionality I actually USE by opening my Dashboard. (Oh, look. And then I get my top menu back. Thanks!) #MakingMeClickForNoReason

The reader is all messed up – huge fonts, huge pics or no pics, and the menu is on the wrong side (I can say “wrong” because it’s not where ANY OTHER WordPress tab puts the menu, so it’s both inconsistent AND not where I, as the user, want to find it)).

The page itself appears with the topmost menus as white-text-on-barely-blue backgrounds, and the icons at the upper right are queued off the page. Tried resizing my page in hopes of recovering them, but apparently the icons are “fixed” to be right-aligned, but off the visible screen.

If this is the new look and feel, it’s not “cooked” yet.

• What is this? What is this?

OK, the menu bar at the top that lets me do anything useful is gone; now I can only access any of the functionality I actually USE by opening my Dashboard. (Oh, look. And then I get my top menu back. Thanks!) #MakingMeClickForNoReason

The reader is all messed up – huge fonts, huge pics or no pics, and the menu is on the wrong side (I can say “wrong” because it’s not where ANY OTHER WordPress tab puts the menu, so it’s both inconsistent AND not where I, as the user, want to find it)).

The page itself appears with the topmost menus as white-text-on-barely-blue backgrounds, and the icons at the upper right are queued off the page. Tried resizing my page in hopes of recovering them, but apparently the icons are “fixed” to be right-aligned, but off the visible screen.

If this is the new look and feel, it’s not “cooked” yet.

• Really counterintuitive. I cannot tell which of my neighbors is posting because their avatar or blog name is miniature and the name of some random post title is HUGE. Makes it very hard to read. And only a fragment of the post is showing.

Also if you click on the name of the blog, you only get an expansion and it says oh, did you want to go to the actual blog instead? Well yeah seeing as how that’s what I’m trying to read then why not just take me to the blog directly?

Sorry but this is an unpleasant change that was already kinda bad after the blog surfer vanished.

• @Staff
    All I want in the Reader is linked titles to posts in normal sized fonts, please. I do not need or want any part of the post to appear in the Reader. I do not need or want to see any images in the Reader. I simply want permalink titles I can click. Please consider making this an option.

• I would never object to an option to view the photos/content. But I find it useless not to see a faithful portray of what the website is posting.
    I also agree that too much space is wasted by the fonts.
    I also agree its odd to put the menu on the opposite side of the screen to all other menus.

• Wasn’t there a big to-do just a few weeks ago when they switched FP to Reader format, and now this? I thought they switched it back for a reason…?

I’ll add my name to the “not a fan” list. I don’t generally come to the forums to complain about what is essentially an aesthetic issue, but this is all incredibly counter-intuitive. Why is the sidebar on the left for our dashboard, but on the right for our Reader? Why are some images visible in the reader (GIANT IMAGES), but some appear to be broken bbcode, when WordPress doesn’t even support bbcode?

I am so confused (and do not like the giant blue bar, which contrasting with the bright white gives me a very real headache).

• It sounds like we really need options as some people like the dashboard style whereas some like the minimal style (and zero people like the new format).

Why is it we have a godzillion options with what theme color style etc we want but no options when it comes to following our friends and sites we like? This is why my friend says WP feels more like a hotel than a home.

• I could probably get used to it if the photos weren’t so gigantic and I could find the tag-searching-thingamabob…

• Let us hope that there are a sufficient number of people who suggest that we need options, otherwise few will be happy. In my case where I post a series of photos, every week this change negates my efforts. http://www.rakmilphotography

• Jesus H Christ on a four masted pogo stick! It’s awful!

Ridiculously huge fonts in the Reader, I can get to my dashboard from the header on the homepage of my blog, but not from the one on my Reader/Stats etc page…

Please, change it back.

• The topic ‘New Format for Reader/WordPress Website’ is closed to new replies.