Need help in recreating an old Joomla site in WordPress using just the backup files.

• My client used to have a website in Joomla but he requested it to be migrated to WordPress. However, the team he was previously working with apparently messed up the migration. Now the Joomla site is no longer available, but the WordPress site is up but with incomplete details. My client wants me to recreate his site in WordPress using the backup files he got from his old team.

I do not have any experience with Joomla. I have the backup files with me – a tar.gz file. I unzipped it but I do not have any idea how to use those files to be able to recreate the site in WordPress. I tried importing the files in WP but it didn’t work.

Could someone be able to enlighten me on this and tell me what I need and can do? Appreciate your help!!!

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Ooops, the link about is not the site that I need help with. The original site is no longer available and I only have the backup files for that site to be able to restore it in WordPress.

• You may well get more specific help at WordPress.org

What I would do is install Joomla on your computer using MAMP or XAMPP. (I assume the Joomla website has details on this).
    You could then use your backup to recreate the old site.

Also install WordPress on your computer:
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress#Installing_WordPress_on_your_own_Computer

If you then use one of these plugins:
    https://wordpress.org/search/joomla
    they should enable you to move the data between the two.

Finally you could export the WordPress XML file from your computer and into a WordPress.com site.

Note: Doing this will *not* import any media files. You would either
    1 – do all the above online in a domain
    2 – upload and re-link all the media after the import.

• The topic ‘Need help in recreating an old Joomla site in WordPress using just the backup files.’ is closed to new replies.