Moving from Self-Hosted to WordPress Hosted (A few questions)

• Hi,

I currently have a self-hosted website on Blue-host (www.lazyrussian.com – LR) and a wordpress.com hosted blog (lazyrussian.wordpress.com – LRW). I am considering moving my blog (and pointing my domain) to LRW. I’ve already imported all of the data via the wordpress import/export tool from lLR to LRW. The next step is to transfer the domain name, which is easy. Before I do this, I ahve a couple questions:

I know that plugins are NOT supported, but are there ‘clever’ alternatives for doing the following plugins:
    Counterize II
    Bookmarkify
    Twitter Updater
    Google Analytics
    All in One SEO Pack
    Contact Me Form (I run a self-made php script on site).

Also, I have a few images I want to upload, like an about me picture and a couple icons – this I can do with the *free space, (3 GB, right?)* that’s given, correct?

I plan on purchasing one upgrade – css, so I can edit my layout – is there a way to import a theme, or can I make new theme-centric files if the generic theme files don’t have analogs to my theme?

If I have a domain, can I still use email? I’m set up with google apps right now.

Ok, now the reason I’m doing this is due to me not needing all the perks I get with bluehost. I’ve had the hosting for 3 years, and all I host is my project blog (I’m a firefox extension developer), and the actual download files are hosted on Mozilla’s site.

So, rather than pay $90/year for hosting, I much rather buy the css upgrade for $15/yr and host my blog on wordpress?

Does anyone think this is a good/bad idea? Any help is appreciated!

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• The blog you specified at http://www.lazyrussian.com does not appear to be hosted at WordPress.com.

This support forum is for WordPress.com hosted blogs only. If you have a self-hosted WordPress blog you need to seek help at the WordPress.org forums, not here.

If you don’t understand the difference, you may find this information helpful.

• You may want to search the support pages and the forums for some of these.

Counterize II – no idea. What does it do?
    Bookmarkify – no idea. What does it do?
    Twitter Updater – You can’t have this – it uses javascript.
    Google Analytics – search the forums for the answer to this.
    All in One SEO Pack – You won’t need this.
    Contact Me Form (I run a self-made php script on site) – search the forums for lots of solutions to this.

Also, I have a few images I want to upload, like an about me picture and a couple icons – this I can do with the *free space, (3 GB, right?)* that’s given, correct? Yes, you can upload pictures.

I plan on purchasing one upgrade – css, so I can edit my layout – is there a way to import a theme, or can I make new theme-centric files if the generic theme files don’t have analogs to my theme?
    You cannot import themes or make new themes. You can ONLY use the themes provided. The CSS upgrade does not allow you to add new themes; it only allows you to alter the appearance (but not the functionality) of the existing themes. There are some free CSS skins available that are suitable for use here but not many. If you have a specific look in mind, you’ll need to do the CSS coding yourself. There’s no staff support for the CSS upgrade and not many volunteers in the forums who know enough to help either. Make sure you know what you are doing before you spend the money. Read the support page on the CSS upgrade to understand its limitations. You won’t get a refund if it’s not what you expected.

If I have a domain, can I still use email? I’m set up with google apps right now.
    Check the support page but I’m pretty sure not.

Yes, if you only want a blog, WP.com is a great place to host it. There are lots of advantages to being here but make sure you can live with the restrictions. Read the sticky posts at the top of the forum especially the one on WP.org and WP.com.

• The topic ‘Moving from Self-Hosted to WordPress Hosted (A few questions)’ is closed to new replies.