modifying Tarski to look like K2

• For a long time I’ve been using the K2 theme because I love it’s simple, clean looks. Unfortunately it’s development died a long time ago already. I figured that it’s not sustainable to keep using K2 if it’s not updated for newer WordPress releases. I’ve decided to use the Tarski theme to replace K2. The problem is, Tarski has quite a different look from K2, so I’ve decided to make an alternate style for Tarski to mimic the look of K2. Unfortunately this isn’t easy with my limited CSS-skills and I’d appreciate some help.

My first start was finding a way to get the blog title text placed in the header image. I found this topic on the forums here which gives some advice. I modified it slightly for my purposes, it works but more modifications are necessary. I’ve got the following code for the alternate style now:

/*
    avlmod.css
    Alexander van Loon's style for the Tarski theme - http://tarskitheme.com/
    Designed by Alexander van Loon, http://alexandervanloon.nl/
    */

/* Header text */

#title {
    color:white;
    /*font-weight:2000;*/
    /*text-shadow: black 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em*/
    border-bottom: medium none;
    position: relative;
    text-align: left;
    left:30px;
    top: -120px;
    }

#navigation {
    border-top: 1px solid #CCCCCC;
    }

See my English blog for the alternate style in action and my Dutch blog for what K2 looks like.

So what is still needed:

• I got the blog title text moved to the hover over the header image, but there is still space reserved for the blog title text just below the header image, how is that blank space removed?
    • I need some shadow for the white text to be easily readable on every kind of header image, but the CSS doesn’t work, code is commented out.
    • Text doesn’t become bold with the code which is commented out
    • I need some blank space above the header image
    • Text just below the title needs the modifications as well

By the way, is it just me, or is the style.css file for Tarski very badly readable? It’s just a dump of code without any comments telling me what the code does; unlike the alternate styles which are shipped with the release, they do have some elementary layout and brief comments to tell what the code is for. I wanted to ask this in Tarski’s own forums, but those are still down.

When this alternate style is finished I will advertise it on my blog and try to get it included in upstream Tarski so that others will be able to enjoy it as well.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• The blog you specified at alexandervanloon.nl does not appear to be hosted at WordPress.com.

This support forum is for blogs hosted at WordPress.com. If your question is about a self-hosted WordPress blog then you’ll find help at the WordPress.org forums.

If you don’t understand the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org, you may find this information helpful.

If you forgot to include a link to your blog, you can reply and include it below. It’ll help people to answer your question.

This is an automated message.

• The topic ‘modifying Tarski to look like K2’ is closed to new replies.