Lurk, like, follow or comment? What do you do?

• Yikes! I made a mistake.
    Replace (an introvert) with (an extrovert)
    Sorry :(

• I don’t comment much on Posts – sometimes I will click on like if the Post has something special – leaving comments for me is difficult, from the slow typing to the not really sure what to say other than “thanks liked this”

I don’t get many comments on my site – but if someone leaves more than a simple “thanks” I will tend to reply to their comment – especially if they added something to the Post – maybe something I missed or that a Post helped them with something

• Have you read Popular Science’s Why We’re Shutting Off Our Comments article?

There are plenty of other ways to talk back to us, and to each other: through Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, livechats, email, and more. We also plan to open the comments section on select articles that lend themselves to vigorous and intelligent discussion. We hope you’ll chime in with your brightest thoughts. Don’t do it for us. Do it for science.

• I have regular readers who do both, “Like” and “Comment”. I appreciate that. It depends on the blog, blogger if I Like, comment or both.

Like is real annoyance when obvious the blogger has spammy blog or it’s all plargiarized content or reblogged but no original content. They’re just trying to attract traffic: they don’t care at all what I write or photograph.

• I comment on multiple Gawker posts daily, but specifically because it’s an anonymous forum filled with witty, intelligent people who are unlikely to be connected to me on social platforms, because social platforms are increasingly insisting on “real names.” As this fascist trend continues (celebrities can use made up names like Xeni or Gaga, plebes have to stick with birth names) we can expect to see at least some of the energy move back to blog comments, as long as those comment systems enable pseudonymous posting. This rules out FB plugins for instance, and will come to rule out Google plugins. In fact, I would expect Google to insist on your use of a Google ID plugin as a precondition of using Google Analytics. It’s not happening now, but it will be.

• I agree with a point already made: Thoughtful comments add immeasurably to a blog post or article.

Overall, my experience as a blogger has been very positive. However, I am somewhat frustrated by the difficulty of eliciting thoughtful personal comments.

I was reading about “responsive” design. It helped me appreciate the following: People who use a smartphone have a hard time writing a Comment. It is one reason they may “Like” a post instead.

• @purepumpkin
    I have mobile readers among my commenters. I’m surprised to hear that yours have trouble commenting. Which devices are they using? Are they logged in WordPress.com members?

• People who use a smartphone have a hard time writing a Comment.

I struggle with my smartphone – but I also have friends that can type or swipe quite fast – so while I do look and read posts via the reader and the WordPress App – any comments I might leave would be very brief or I might wait until I get to a larger keyboard

• I agree. It’s not easy to comment via a phone.

• I hadn’t tried using a smartphone until last night. It’s so terribly hard to use that I gave up. The keys are teeny weeny. It’s so hard to see them and so easy to fat finger them. I’m so happy I decided not to become a mobile owner. I’m loving my land line and my desktop more today than I did yesterday.

• It would drive me insane to type on a smartphone. How do people do it?

• LOL! How do they do it? I’ve seen them doing it, but cannot explain how! I’ve also seen videos about hand pulled Chinese noodles:
    http://youtu.be/PgIGFQZ2Q6k
    But I cannot do it!

• What a relief to read your posts! I now know that other people share my reluctance to use/distaste for using a smartphone.

I am endlessly grateful to WordPress. I am especially grateful for its responsive themes. (Thank you, Matt).

I found an interesting article on SitePoint (http://www.sitepoint.com/10-tips-designing-mobile-friendly-website/): It helped me understand–among other things–why mobile phones users do not leave comments.

• Is it possible for WordPress to design other buttons to go with the Like and Follow buttons? Something similar to what About.me has for Compliments, and Thanks? They have quite a few ‘standard options’ to choose from.
    I like posts, follow blogs, and comment. I’m not one for lurking. I use Explore Topics to find inspiration, check out topics I like, or look into topics that are outside my comfort zone.
    Recently I came across a conversation which brought up that some people may feel suicidal over receiving a Like or Follow, which is not followed up by a comment. Although I have given it quite some thought, I can’t help but feel an aversion now to clicking Likes or Follows!
    I thought that perhaps if WordPress were able to add a variety of more descriptive buttons, then people would not have such angst over a Like or Follow.
    What do you think of things such as “Like in a rush,” or “Shy Like,” Browsing Like, Come visit me (You might Like), Well-written, Vote of support, Sympathy, Me Too, I Agree, You’re Cool, “Like and Link” (leave a related link), Follow, Random Follow, Groupie, Friend for Life, “I want to join your club…”

At different times, my “Like” or “Follow” may mean any of these different things.

• The topic ‘Lurk, like, follow or comment? What do you do?’ is closed to new replies.