Keep an old Post Comments Open

• Is it possible to leave a single Post’s comments open from 6 years back (one of first Posts that I had set aside for general comments) and have the other Post’s close after say 2 years? Want to reduce spam it bit on some of the older Posts

Thanks

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi, @auxclass

It’s not possible. I actually tried this myself about a year ago and couldn’t get it to work, but just checked again now. If you auto-close comments it overrides the post-specific settings, and changing a specific post’s settings with auto-close comments enabled makes no difference.

What I wound up doing last year was to manually disable comments using the bulk-edit in WP-Admin ->Posts, leaving it on for those posts where I still wanted comments to be active. Not ideal, I know, but it’s the only way to do this.

• Thanks for double checking – I tested a bit and could not seem to get around things

thanks for the bulk edit idea – never used the bulk edit feature – might give that a try –

does the close also work for Pages also? – the wording in the settings refers to “articles”

• That setting does not affect pages, no.

• Thanks for checking – I could make a page for general comments and use in place of the old Post –

Is there an easy way to transfer comments from a Post to a Page? (that would keep all the comments together – or I could just put a link back – the link might work better) – – don’t really have that many general comments – but wanted to have some sort of general area

thanks

• There isn’t an automated way to move comments, no, so if you want to move them you’ll have to do it manually, copying the usernames, emails, IPs, etc. by editing the comment in WP-Admin.

A link will be easier :)

• I made a new Page for comments, enabled comments and used a link back to the old Post

thanks

• Glad I could help :)

• The topic ‘Keep an old Post Comments Open’ is closed to new replies.