[journalist 1.3] blog crashes suddenly & other problems

• hi there!

i hope i can get help at least for one of the problems i have :(

1. the worst one: suddenly (like one hour ago) my blog at http://chaoscantina.wordpress.com crashes my firefox 3.01 just seconds after i open the page, and an update to version 3.03 hasn’t helped, either. i made tons of css-changes on the journalist 1.3 theme yesterday, and everything just looked and worked great. i did not post anything new since yesterday morning, nor do i change widgets or anything else since it worked fine the last time. i tried to load the page without pictures, java-script and anything else i could adjust with the browser – nothing helps. i also went back to the original theme without any css, no change in behaviour either.

2. to add to my frustration i saw in explorer 6 the sidebar is not on the right side (where it belongs), but at the bottom of the theme. to add some px to the container doesn’t help, and now i’m clueless how to make this theme look ok in explorer.

to say i’m frustrated would be the understatement of the week :(

i wanted to ask about some minor design problems later this day, but they have to wait since this major problems are hopefully solved.

• It loaded fine for me (FF 3.0.3).

For the IE problem, check the FAQ’s. It happens all the time, it’s not a CSS problem, and it’s easily remedied.

• *slams her head on the table*

ok, the IE problem is solved. it was the graphics on top in the sidebar.

but nothing changed with firefox. still crashing, and i can’t find a reason why :(

• rosclarke, thanks for testing it with firefox, i just got confirmation from a friend that she can open it without problems, too. seems i have to re-install the %§$”&#! browser.

but that makes place for the questions i wanted to ask originally :) these are no real problems but little design bugs which codes/places i can’t find in the css code. i’m still an absolute beginner with css, but this forum and other sources help enourmosly to understand it better with time.

since english isn’t my mother tongue and i feel quite helpless whenever i want to describe something, i made screenshots to illustrate what i mean. so here’s the first one: http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8578/journalistcommho7.gif
    i have problems to find the right code to solve these two problems.

1. the text decoration for “next” and “previous” on the comments pages stays there as stubborn as a mule, even though i managed to add the bottom-border. i used this code to change it, but it seems i miss something:

.previous {
    color:#aaabaf;
    text-decoration:none;
    border-bottom:#555 1px solid;
    float:left;
    }

.previous:hover {
    border-bottom:#aaabaf 1px solid;
    float:left;
    }

.next {
    border-bottom:#555 1px solid;
    float:right;
    }

.next:hover {
    border-bottom:#aaabaf 1px solid;
    float:right;
    }

2. the line should be 1px and colour #555, but i can’t find where to add the css-snippet to change it :/

and here’s the second screenshot: http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/8163/journalisttextux8.gif

what you see on the left side is what i have, on the right side is what i would like to have. is it possible to reduce the space between the lines, or ist that inside the html and out of reach for me?

again i’m very thankful for any help, it’s appreciated :)

• I think your selectors should be:

.next a a:hover a:visited

.previous a a:hover a:visited

To change the line spacing use:

line-height: <value>;

Put the value as a percentage. Maybe try 80% or 90%? See what works.

• thanks a lot, rosclarke, the previous/next is now without decoration, and i think i can live with the slightly off arrow on the left if there’s no easy way to fix that. http://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?image=commus5.gif

but i`m struggling with the line spacing. if i put it in the body area it changes the sidebar only (and i don’t want to change that), and main and content don’t change anything. any ideas?

• Did you try putting it in the .post selector?

• yes, but doesn’t change the spacing, either.

• The topic ‘[journalist 1.3] blog crashes suddenly & other problems’ is closed to new replies.