Index

• When you switch to another theme all the pages and posts you’ve already added to the site will adapt to the new theme layout. If you’re previewing the theme you may not see that.

Our support doc here – https://wordpress.com/support/themes/changing-themes/ – explains about what happens when changing themes.

• can I add like the same widgets I have on my site now

Just like your theme being retired, there may be widgets you currently use on your site that don’t have a block counterpart.

Regardless, before switching anything, I’d take staff-zinnia’s advice about exporting your site content into a test site, enable Nook or any other theme you like and see if the results suits you.

• Ok, I am making baby steps – decided to import content of my cookie blog, which is much smaller, being just 3 years old, to the test site. I really like NOOK, so I think what I willl do is use Nook in the cookie blog for a while and see how I feel, then maybe go for it. Maybe I can try to make the index work in the cookie blog…. stay tuned. .

• Ok, I have one little problem – when I set up the cookie blog with the NOOK theme, Pinterest and Instagram links are working, but not my email – when I click on it, I am not directed to an email server

any clues?

https://for-the-love-of-cookies.com

• assuming that I will still be able to function as a human being in 24 hours, I intend to try to set up the index thing on the cookie blog…. then if that works, I will take a very deep breath and work on my main blog

• I apologize for crowding this board with my questions – soooooo I see that the block editor does not have “widgets” anymore. So I assume all the little bits I had as widgets in my site won’t be transferred – one example: blog roll favorites, but what I really like the posts organized by month and year – so that I can easily retrieve a post published one year earlier…. Is there a way to get those in the block system?

• Hello! @sallybr

I understand you’re referring to the Mail icon / link under the “Let’s connect” section in the right sidebar on https://for-the-love-of-cookies.com/

I just clicked the Mail icon / link and was redirected to where I could send you an email. Can you confirm if this issue has been resolved? If it hasn’t, it might be you do not have an email client installed or active on your device.

You still have access to the Blogroll Block and Archives Block while using the Block Editor. Can you try adding both blocks and checking if they are suitable for your use case?

• the email is working for most people, from what I heard, but not for some – so I will leave it as it is for the moment – I will try to do the blogroll block later toda, thank you!

• You’re welcome! You could also consider displaying your email address in full (rather than using a linked icon) so everyone is able to connect with you via email.

Bye for now!

• Sally-my 2¢/mailto: links are very popular with email scraper bots/i.e. spammers and, if it were me, I’d link that icon to a contact form on your site.

You’ll still get an email, but this has the advantage of not exposing your email address and contact form submissions are filtered through Akismet, so you are less likely to get spam emails./my 2¢

• Working a bit with Nook, one thing I am not at all happy with is the calendar, that shows only the current month and the previous one – I really preferred the way the old theme had it, so I could easily navigate through the months and years – is there any way to change that????? customize the look?

• disregard my previous question, I got feedback about the calendar, will try to figure it out

• Using Nook, one of the things I noticed to be different and would like some feedback on – “set featured image” – when I used to do that before it would simply assign that photo to whatever mail or social media post would go out about the blog post. Now I realize that in Nook, whatever you assign as the featured image will show up at the very post of the post – I like to start the post with a short text and that was messing it all up, so I removed the featured image. Is there any way to avoid that being placed on the post, or at least remove it? I could not find a way to edit it out once it is there. It won’t show in the draft version at all…..

thank you!

• Hello there

Now I realize that in Nook, whatever you assign as the featured image will show up at the very post of the post – I like to start the post with a short text and that was messing it all up, so I removed the featured image. Is there any way to avoid that being placed on the post, or at least remove it? I could not find a way to edit it out once it is there.

Sure, you can edit the single post template and remove the featured image block so it won’t appear on any posts.

To edit the single posts template, please go to Appearance > Templates > Single posts template. Edit the template and remove the featured image block as shown here https://d.pr/i/EEIwP1 You can learn more about editing templates here.

Reply to Index