Image storage

• I have run out of space for image storage. I went back and reduced the size of photos already saved on published blogs but the media storage availability hasn’t improved. What can I do? I don’t wish to upgrade to a paid plan as I will not longer be using this as often next year (I stop travelling!)

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi,

Reducing the size of the images in posts (blogs) has no effect upon the size of the media files. Unfortunately, reducing the size of media files involves replacing them with smaller files. So you’d need to do the following:

• 1. Create smaller versions of the images, externally with whatever software you choose
    • 2. Delete the old images from the media library
    • 3. Upload the new images either directly to the blogs or to the media library.
    • 4. If images are uploaded to the media library, replace the deleted images in the blogs.
  • If there’s an easier way of reducing the size of media files, then I’m unaware of it. But, just in case there is a way that I’ve missed, I’ve called for staff attention. Staff will respond here.

• @worldlywendy you have quite a few images and many of them are high resolution still. Also I’m not sure which ones you’re resizing, but some of these are showing up as duplicates now, so I wonder if you’re actually managing to duplicate them instead.

Here’s what I would do:

– Choose a post with several very large images in it

– Download all of those images in full size, if you don’t have easy access to the
    originals

– Delete the images from the post

– Make resized copies on your computer

– Upload those

You can also go through and look for duplicate images. You’ll just want to be careful not to delete images that are being used in posts.

Honestly though, if you can, your better bet will be to go ahead and upgrade.

• @musicdoc1 ah sorry I missed your reply saying the same thing!

• @supernovia,

No worries. : -) You suggested selecting the larger images first for replacement, whereas (as I’ve just noticed) I’d neglected to do that.

• Fantastic thank you both for your help. Yes all my images are giant because I was too lazy to work this out at the start… So it serves me right that there isn’t an easy or fast solution!

@supernovia
    how do I find the duplicated images? I can’t see any when I look… Although I guess when I start deleting things it might become obvious.
    Thanks again

• Hi there,

The only way I can think to find duplicate images is to search their file names in the library – looking over your library I don’t spot any either.

• The topic ‘Image storage’ is closed to new replies.