I’m new and confused

• So I’m using wordpress.com as a host and downloaded wordpress but do I actually need it since its features are there when I log in on wordpress.com

I’ve read the installation pieces and what not but I’m lost.

How do I go about creating a completely custom blog design?

All I can find to change when I log into wordpress.com is the header or sidebars.

Cheers,

CT

• Tempest19: If you are using wordpress.com, then you don’t need to install anything. The download-and-install instructions is for people who have domains on other hosts. So all you need to do is start blogging ;).

A completely customized blog design is not possible on wordpress.com. As you have already found out, you can do a little bit of customization for the header and the sidebar.

For full customization, you will need to purchase a domain from providers such as Dreamhost. In that case, you would need to download and install wordpress according to the instructions on wordpress.org.

• You can host your own site and do what you want to the design there. But that’s only if you know what you’re doing with hosting it yourself. That’s why I don’t host it myself because I’m not a computer genius. But here at WordPress.com, they have real nice templates already available and different ways you can do your sidebar with widgets and stuff.

• Thanks for the help guys.

I ran a website for a while on Yahoo but am new to blogging so I think I’ll stick with wordpress.com for now until I see some traffic on the blog.

Thanks again.

• The topic ‘I’m new and confused’ is closed to new replies.