I was typing in the Editor and lost everything

• I was on a roll and wrote a bunch of stuff with which I was very happy. I had my categories and my tag words all put in. I had a photo inserted at the top of the blog entry, and a Featured Image in place. I went to put one last photo in at the end of the story. I hit the button on my phone to go put in a caption, and when I was done, I went back to the page to see how it all looked. I was horrified to see that it had all disappeared, and all that showed up was the words I had typed for the caption. The photos were gone. All my writing was gone.

I couldn’t find a “back” or “undo” button on my phone, so I hurried to my laptop to try to fix it from there. I looked online for answers and found some pages telling me about the previous versions one can access to restore. I found that on my blog post, but the only previous versions went as far back as where I lost everything. I mean, the only previous version was from a few minutes prior, when that one-liner that was supposed to be a photo caption was all that showed up.

Is there any way to get my writing back? Did I write too fast and so there were no auto-saves or anything? I know some Google products do auto-saves, although WordPress isn’t a Google product, is it? Maybe my writing exists somewhere?

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• I wanted to include a screenshot to explain something else that might be of help in finding a solution, if one exists, but I don’t know if there is a way to add a photo. So here is a link to my own blog where I posted the screenshot in the blog entry:

I need help getting my post back

• Hey there,

I’ve gone ahead and responded to your request within the WordPress mobile app, so I’ll go ahead and close this forum thread as a duplicate request.

• Hi! I am checking back in with an update.

When this forum post was first brought to our attention, I tried creating a set of testing steps based on your what you wrote here, but I wasn’t able to replicate the problem in any of my tests. However, I filed an issue anyway because we care a lot about solving content loss issues and I wanted to let you know we are continuing to investigate and we are making incremental changes based on your report and others like it.

We fixed one case where developers found that a local auto-save could overwrite content in some cases (that should have been rare though), and now we are working to add more auto-saves that sync up with the server (in progress).

Thanks so much for posting in the forums about this and writing out the details of your experience including the steps you took before the problem happened. Details like that are what help me to write up actionable requests!

• The topic ‘I was typing in the Editor and lost everything’ is closed to new replies.