I have not been able to follow new blogs through the reader

• I have not been able to follow new blogs through the reader or through the “follow” button on the lower right, though I have been able to follow some blogs that offer other following options (such as “New posts in your inbox” followed by a SUBSCRIBE button).

I have tried the following:

* Checked that my web browser is up to date.
    * Cleared my browser’s cache and cookies.
    * Temporarily disabled all browser extensions or add-ons.
    * I think I have HTTPS enabled. Isn’t this standard?
    * Enabled third-party cookies.

As an aside: I’m using Chrome and when I add “[*.]wordpress.com” to “Sites that can always use cookies” (within the “Privacy and security/Cookies and other site data” Settings area) it has a checkbox labeled “All cookies, on this site only”.
    Can you explain this to me? I thought the “[*.]” at the beginning already meant “All cookies, on this site only”. Are they redundant, so that “wordpress.com” with the checkmark is equivalent to “[*.]wordpress.com” without?

Thank you.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• P.S. I also tried switching to a different browser (multiple ones) to no avail.

• Hm, I wonder if this is realted to https://wordpress.com/forums/topic/unfollow-a-large-number-of-blogs/ where you couldn’t unfollow sites.

I see you’re now subscribed to 2,077 sites in the Reader, at an average rate of 2 a day.

To get a sense of the use case here, and possible therefore the problem, would you mind explaining why you’re following so many sites so often?

Can you explain this to me? I thought the “[*.]” at the beginning already meant “All cookies, on this site only”. Are they redundant, so that “wordpress.com” with the checkmark is equivalent to “[*.]wordpress.com” without?

The [*.] is an open-ended variable. It means wordpress.com, example.wordpress.com, support.wordpress.com, other-example.wordpress.com, and so on.

• I run a website that displays a list of blogs by Autistic blogs (including year last posted) that has grown to over 2200 blogs, many currently inactive. I subscribe in order to keep track of their last posting date so I can keep the list up-to-date.

Would the problem be resolved if I reduced the number of blogs I follow? If so, how low would I have to reduce it to?

• Most likely it would be resolved by following less sites. I’m not sure how low though.

have you considered using the API instead? https://developer.wordpress.com/docs/api/1.1/get/read/tags/%24tag/posts/

• I’ve been using the reader on a daily basis for most blogs and the API about weekly for those blogs the reader misses. I will unfollow most of the inactive blogs and just rely on the API for those.

I previously followed over 2400 blogs and WordPress continued to allow me to subscribe to new blogs (although it only allowed me to export the latest ones). Are you sure you haven’t changed a setting at your end that prohibits me from following new blogs through the reader?

• No, there are no flags on your account for that, it just seems you may have found the undiscovered limit.

No one else here even follows close to the number of sites you do with the Reader.

Keep in mind that the Reader is something that’s meant to be enjoyed by humans, so we really haven’t tested it with following over 2,000 sites, since there’s generally no human who’d be able to keep up with that if all the sites were active. ;)

• It doesn’t seem to have been a limit earlier. I wonder what changed.

What’s the maximum number of sites you expect the reader to work properly for, so I know what target to shoot for?

• We’ve never encountered a limit before, but everything of course has a limit, so we’re in uncharted waters here. :)

That’s why I’m wondering if there will be any improvement after you unfollow some of the inactive sites.

• WordPress won’t let me unfollow blogs that have since been deleted. If I send you a list of those blogs, can you unfollow them for me?

• What error do you see when you try to remove them at https://wordpress.com/following/manage ?

• They don’t show up when I search for them in my followed sites. When that happens for a blog that still exists, I can follow it again then immediately unfollow it. If it’s been deleted, that doesn’t work.

• Do you have an example of a site that you once followed but as since been deleted? We’d like to take a look at that specific example on our end and see why it cannot be unfollowed.

How is it that you are sure that your follow was not removed automatically (when the blog was taken offline)

Thanks for the additional info!

• I know the blogs were not automatically unfollowed when they were taken offline because they show up in my exported list of followed blogs.

Below is a list of deleted blogs that I can’t seem to remove from my exported list (listed how they appear on my exported list, not as the sites I initially followed).

The first five I’ve just now tried again to remove (unsuccessfully). They don’t show up when I search for them in my followed sites, and when I try to follow them again I get the error message “Sorry, there was a problem following XXXX. Please try again.”

aspitude.blogspot.com
    ratscape.wordpress.com
    belovedunlovable.wordpress.com
    maevans1989.tumblr.com
    blogs.plos.org/genomeboy

eyetoeyelivingonthespectrum.com (which redirects to the spam site dentalsleepstlouis.com)
    16a.327.myftpupload.com/
    50.87.249.61/~aspertyp/
    500.ff1.myftpupload.com/
    actuallyautistic.info/
    ada-hoffmann.livejournal.com/
    adultingwithautism.com/
    ageing-aspie.co.uk/
    aliensbybirth.blogspot.com/
    allautisticwedding.com/blog
    aminorfallamajorlift.tumblr.com/
    amongthestarsautismstory.net/
    anaccessiblelife.com/
    anautisticgal.com/
    anautisticinsight.com/
    anautisticlife.com/
    askladyaspie.com/
    asperdiary.com/
    aspergerjourney.blogspot.com/
    aspergersillustrated.blogspot.com/
    asperoomies.com/
    aspertypical.com
    aspiemiss.co.uk/
    aspified.com/
    autismacceptanceday.blogspot.com/
    autismdoggirl.blogspot.com/
    autistic.ly/
    autisticavenger.blogspot.com/
    autisticdifferences.com/
    autisticrevolutionary.co.uk/my-blog.php
    autisticshs.blogspot.com/
    autisticvoice.co.za/
    autiststuff.com/the-autist-blog/
    blog.worldapart.org/
    blogs.plos.org/speakeasyscience
    blogs.plos.org/thepanicvirus
    blogs.plos.org/toothandclaw
    blogs.plos.org/wonderland
    carrows-blog.tumblr.com/
    catamongstwolves.com/
    chloerothschild.com/blog
    clairehillglassart.co.uk/
    decipher-morgan.com/?_abpa_=1
    eccentrickimmy1.blogspot.com/
    emilyfrostofficial.weebly.com/blog/feed
    emilywilding.weebly.com/the-rag-blog
    evilautie.org/
    existenceiswonderful.com/
    geekwithautism.com/
    ghost-ghost.85.10.237.171.nip.io/
    handsoffourhealthcare.blogspot.com/
    hconeil1957.blogspot.com/
    help4aspergers.com/
    historyofbadparties.net/
    hiveofluminosity.blogspot.com/
    howautisticfeels.com/
    idionity.com/
    jasonanson.techtalk1.com/
    lettersfromaspergia.com/
    lifeofaspie.com/
    littleautismthings.tumblr.com/
    lynnesoraya.com/
    magentaprex.com/home-1?format=RSS
    maninhispyjamas.com/
    medium.com/@autaitchel
    medium.com/@bixmediocre
    monkeybrainsaspie.blogspot.com/
    muckingfuppet.com/
    myislandmyautism.com/
    mysupport.com/blog/
    natkat921.blogspot.com/
    neongreennest.com/
    neurodisunity.blogspot.com/
    neurodivergentnicole.com/
    neurodiversiteit.com/
    neurodiversitymatters.com/autisticacademic
    neurodiversitymatters.com/hbdiaries
    neurodiversitymatters.com/heynicky
    neurodiversitymatters.com/teselecta
    neuroredux.blogspot.com/
    neverlessthan.com/
    nissaannakindt.blogspot.com/
    nntlostforwords.com/
    normalitybites.com/
    nurseteaspoons.blogspot.com/
    officialamberblack.com/
    one-autistic-in-ireland.blogspot.com/
    ontheaspieside.com/
    persnicketypatricia.ca/
    persnicketypatricia.ca/autisticme/
    processingproblems.com/?_abpa_=1
    propriumasp.blogspot.com/
    proudautisticliving.com/
    racheldrainey.blogspot.com/
    sadparty.weebly.com/blog
    sexygenius.io/
    shakersquared.blogspot.com/
    shalesenicoleheard.com/home
    shapeofautism.co.uk/
    sharpshocks.blogspot.com/
    shonadavison.co.uk/
    sparrowsandpenguins.com/
    storyproject.io/
    theaspergerblog.com/
    thelauraproject.co.uk/
    thoughtsofanautistic.blogspot.com/
    tmbmt.mycustomdata.com/blog/
    typedwordsloudvoices.blogspot.com/
    un-boxedbrain.com/
    unpapularonions.blogspot.com/
    velvetandfairylights.blogspot.com/
    voiceover.ltd/
    wisdomtara.com/
    wolfpup101.blogspot.com/
    worldaccordingtoand.blogspot.com/

• Some of my followed blogs’ posts show up in my reader but not when I make an API call. Can you tell me why? Below are a few examples.

robertreich.org
    rosieweldon.com (or rosieweldon.com/blog)
    waterwomanknits.weebly.com (or waterwomanknits.weebly.com/blog)
    autistictales.com
    laughingatmynightmare.tumblr.com

• Thanks for that info. I’m having our engineers take a look, but I should point out that the Reader was not really meant to operate at this kind of scale. It’s essentially meant to be a simple RSS feed reader built in to WordPress, but the way you are using it now as an aggregator is not something we officially support.

Your workflow is novel, and not something we had in mind when creating the Reader, so we may be able to get your followed sites removed, but moving forward I encourage you to switch to using our API to collect post feeds, rather than use the Reader.

This for example might be better suited for what you are trying to do: https://developer.wordpress.com/docs/api/1.1/get/read/tags/%24tag/posts/

• Some of my followed blogs’ posts show up in my reader but not when I make an API call. Can you tell me why? Below are a few examples.

We’re not trained developers here in the community support forums, so this is not something we’re able to look into directly, but you can ask for API help at the contact form here.

Hope this helps!

• I tried to submit the following as a new Forum topic but it wouldn’t let me. Can you tell me why not? (My apologies for hijacking this topic instead.)

Topic Title: Alexa.com ranking of *.wpcomstaging.com extension

Alexa Internet (alexa.com) does not appear to rank blogs with a .wpcomstaging.com extension. When I contacted them about a similar matter, they told me to submit the extension (.wpcomstaging.com) to the Public Suffix List (https://publicsuffix.org/submit/) which they use to distinguish hosting domains and TLDs from non-hosting domains.

Please submit the extension .wpcomstaging.com to the Public Suffix List at https://publicsuffix.org/submit/ (or let me know if you cannot). Thank you.

Topic Tags:
    Alexa Internet, alexa.com, wpcomstaging, rank, Public Suffix List, extension, domain

• wpcomstaging.com is a staging URL we use for sites on our Business Plan, and is not meant to be used on production sites. That’s only meant to be a temporary address while you build your site, before you connect a custom domain to it.

I tried to submit the following as a new Forum topic but it wouldn’t let me. Can you tell me why not?

The only explanation is a caching issue in your browser. Your account is not being blocked from posting in this forum in any way.

• The topic ‘I have not been able to follow new blogs through the reader’ is closed to new replies.