I am unable to write a new post or edit published ones

• My site opens ok but when I click on the ‘write a new post’ button the page will not load – its just blank. I can open My Site but I can’t open my published posts from the ‘my posts’ page, therefore I can’t edit anything. I can open all these pages on my iPad but not on my Mac – and I prefer to work on my desktop as I find it easier to navigate. I have cleared my cache but the pages still won’t load. I am using Safari on a Mac.

WP.com: Yes
    Correct account: Yes

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi, I would like to start by asking you to check one other thing in your Safari settings: if you go into the Safari > Preferences menu, and view the Privacy options there, could you ensure that “Prevent cross-site tracking” is switched off (unchecked)?

We have occasionally found that this setting can affect the editor so that it just appears blank like this. In case of need, Apple have a guide here for Prevent cross-site tracking:
    https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/safari/sfri40732/mac

If you’re still having trouble after that please do let us know.

• Thank you for your help. I have checked and ‘prevent cross site tracking’ is definitely off.
    I have always been able to edit my posts on my Mac in the past but now the edit page just does not load at all.

Any other suggestions?
    Billie

• Hi there!

Could you let us know what version of MacOS and Safari you’re using? Once we have that information, we’ll be better able to advise.

Thanks!

• Hello

macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6
    Safari version 13.1.2 (13609.3.5.1.5)

Thanks

• Thanks for that! Those are both older versions of macOS and Safari (whose updates are tied to the OS version) which might be the problem here.

There are constant updates to both the editor and WordPress.com as a whole. There are also continual updates to the HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and PHP coding languages used to create WordPress.com and many other websites. And it is more likely that it was an update to one of these languages, rather than an update to the editor, that caused this to break.

In that case, you’re likely running into the issue where your operating system/browser isn’t compatible with modern versions of WordPress, and we have no way to get around that here.

If you can, we recommend you upgrade to the newest version of the operating system (OS) you can get on your current device. Upgrading your OS will also allow you to install more modern browser versions, which should help here.

You could also install and use the Chrome browser, which does use the latest version regardless of your operating system version. Check that and see if that helps.

I hope that clarifies things.

• Thank you for your help. I have downloaded Chrome as you suggest and my site is working fine on that. My Mac won’t offer me any OS updates so I’m assuming they are not supporting my old machine any more! :(

Anyway. I appreciate your help.
    Thank you.
    Billie

• The topic ‘I am unable to write a new post or edit published ones’ is closed to new replies.