HTTP Error Uploading PDF files

• I keep getting an

Error
    HTTP Error

When trying to upload a 5.1MB PDF file

Have tried both Drag & Drop and Select file method
    Using Firefox – Current on Win Vista Home system

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Seems to be a Firefox issue – I was able to upload the files using IE something with the choose file option

• Hm, I’ve been testing in Firefix (v. 33.0) and haven’t been able to reproduce that HTTP error. If you force refresh the media upload page first, do you still get the same error when you upload the file there?

• I am on an old backup laptop today – looks like might have FF30 (or ready to update to 30) on it and same error – did try forcing a reload and same error for drag and drop

• Just to rule out other issues, can you let me know which PDF file this was so I can try uploading it with Firefox to my test blog? I want to try to recreate as many of the conditions as I can while testing this out on my end.

And is that error popping up for all uploads in Firefox, some uploads, or just with the one PDF file?

• Back on regular computer, new power supply & FF 33

San-Juan islands s1 – PDF – 1.8 MB – FF drag & drop OK

Seattle Harbor PDF – 2.7 MB – FF drag & drop fail (version in library is IE upload – pick file)

Seattle 1878 JPG — 3.4MB – FF Drag fail – that is a Gimp Export I think (uploaded IE select file)

DSCN8641 – JPG – 3.4MB – FF Drag & drop worked OK – plain picture from older Nikon & Nikon up-loader to my computer

Some of the other larger PDF files were drag & drop fail

thanks for looking – I would think if it was a common issue the forum would be full of complaints – but then maybe not many people upload larger PDF files

• Yep, I don’t think it’s a common issue, and so far I haven’t been able to reproduce it in Firefox on my end even testing with the same PDFs you uploaded.

Given that you’ve been able to some large PDFs but not others, the browser could be a coincidence. Is your regular computer on WiFi? If it is, could you give the uploads another try in Firefox while using an ethernet cable?

(HTTP errors often happen if your connection to WordPress.com gets interrupted during the upload. That’s more likely to happen with a larger file, since the upload just takes longer, but connecting via ethernet can sometimes help.)

• The confusing thing is the different browsers – IE takes the file up and Firefox does not

Both computers are on the same DSL system – it’s not all that fast (Century Link sucks) – I can probably put the laptop on my cell hot spot (faster) – or if I can find the antenna for the desktop might be able to try with this computer –

thanks

• Yeah, the browser part is confounding, but it seems more like a coincidence given that I can’t reproduce the same problem in Firefox uploading the same files on my end.

That said, I thought of a few other things I’d like to check on:

• How far into the upload process do you get that HTTP error? (Does it happen right away, partway through, or after the progress bar hits 100%?)
    • If you disable all of your Firefox add-ons/extensions does that change things?
    • Do you get any errors in the Firefox console when the upload fails?
  • The HTTP error comes at the very end – don’t remember a % showing – but the bar looks full width

I have a pretty plain FF install with no fancy stuff – just Adobe reader and such – will be later today before I can do battle with the browser extensions – I will also take some screen shots of the extensions pages

thanks

• Thanks, screenshots may help me pinpoint what’s going on. If you can get a screenshot of the HTTP error along with the Firefox console, as well, that’ll help too.

• The topic ‘HTTP Error Uploading PDF files’ is closed to new replies.