Help re within page jump – can’t follow the FAQ

• Hi, I hope someone can help me!
    I want to use the within page jump. But, I have read the FAQ on how to do this & tried to follow the instructions, but it just didn’t work. I don’t think I understand how to write this stuff.

In the FAQ it says:
    “How to do it.
    The link starts it (the ‘Click me’) is written like this:
    Click me
    Note the #
    The link when that goes to is written like this:
    See?
    The #a matches the name=”a”. “

So, I thought that I should write – to click on See chart, and be jumped down to Chart:
    See chart

& then further down the page:
    Chart

Clearly this is wrong, but I really don’t understand why. Help please – and in very simple language, as I don’t know what I’m doing.

thanks
    Rosemary

• Now even more confused, as when I posted this question, the words have come up as links. What’s happening?

a very confused Rosemary

• First off when posting code here you should start and end it with backticks (small accents sometimes placed over letters). I think it’s also called accent grave. That way the code will be shown here without being changed.

The correct way to use “anchors within pages,” as it is called, is as follows:

<a href="#chart">Click to see chart</a>

Some other text here.

(And further down the site)

<a name="chart">The Chart</a>
    So here the chart is...

Hope that was helpful, otherwise please ask again and give us a link to your blog.

– Biyang Hansen

• The backtick key is to the left of the number 1 on your keyboard in lower case just below the ~.
    {wave to niyse}

• thanks Biyang, I just tried what you have written (I thought), & it didn’t work.

To see my goof-up live, the link is http://rosemarysrelatives.wordpress.com/allistons/ .. and the end of the 2nd paragraph.

cheers
    Rosemary

• {waves back to timethief } :-)

Ah now I get what your problem is… you have to switch to code view in your post editor before putting in the tags! that is important, otherwise your html code will get completely messed up.

And I see you have used the <a name=""></a> twice. That’s incorrect.

Remember: use <a href="#chart">See chart</a> for the link to the chart .

And use <a name="chart">Chart here</a> for the location of your chart. The HREF code links to the NAME tag.

Hope that is explained clearly enough.

And to timethief: Yes in the US the backticks are to the left of “1”, but if you’re in Europe it’s to the left of the backspace button. :-)

– Biyang

• OK!
    1st v. embarrassed to type <a name=""></a> twice, my bad ;-( & in too much of a hurry

2nd thanks for the use the code page tip, and…

3rd – it works! So thanks very much for your patience with a coding newbie.

cheers
    Rosemary

• You’re welcome – we were all newbies once :-)

Just checked your page again and, as you say, it works fine now.

Happy to be able to help,
    – Biyang

• The topic ‘Help re within page jump – can’t follow the FAQ’ is closed to new replies.