Help! Need to verify DNS for use of Office 365 ASAP. WordPress not responding.

• i tried each of the 6 IP addresses that you emailed me yesterday and Office365 says: This doesn’t look like the right IP address for http://www.plumgoldsf.com. Contact the company that hosts your website and ask them to confirm that this is the right IP address. : (

• It sounds like something is off on their end (notice https://www.whatsmydns.net/#A/plumgoldsf.com shows you the six from yesterday).

If you can skip that part of their setup, that would be best at this stage. If there is specific contact information for Office 365 listed, their support may be able to provide additional instruction. Since they provide the right information for us to setup the e-mail on our end, there has to be a way to setup the domain without their plan.

Thanks for your patience.

• Ugh. No phone number found for them, but have sent a service request. thank you and will keep you posted.

• Hello,

I am having the exact same issue.

Microsoft provides detailed instructions for a number of DNS hosting providers, unfortunately not for WordPress:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-suite-help/create-dns-records-for-office-365-when-you-manage-your-dns-records-HA102851099.aspx

One thing I tried was to enter the following line as instructed by Microsoft:
    TXT @ v=spf1 include:spf.protection.outlook.com -all

But when I click save, WordPress removes the space between @ and v.

• @pathtosharepoint – the @ is not needed. That’s to indicate your want to assign the TXT record to your domain, which our system assumes to be the case to simplify things.

Thanks for the link!

• Right, I understand that from a WordPress perspective the @ and TTL are not needed. I used an SPF record testing tool and it told me everything was ok without the @.
    But from an Office 365 perspective I don’t know how the validation is done.

• Both values shouldn’t be required. When the DNS records are pulled, the “v=spf1 include:spf.protection.outlook.com -all” will be returned the same way as it would be on other systems that require the domain name and TTL specified.

In other words, they’re specified the same behind the scenes in the actual DNS system.

Cheers!

• Quick update: the mailbox itself seems to work, so it’s only the Office 365 validation page that doesn’t validate the record received from WordPress.
    Here are the records I currently have (xxx.com being the domain name):
    MX 0 xxx-com.mail.protection.outlook.com
    TXT xxx.com v=spf1 include:spf.protection.outlook.com -all

Office 365 doesn’t validate the TXT record. I also tried:
    TXT v=spf1 include:spf.protection.outlook.com -all
    TXT @ v=spf1 include:spf.protection.outlook.com -all

I am actually not sure if my issue is the same as the OP, but I’d be happy to provide more details or test other configurations if needed.

For the record, @yyy.onmicrosoft.com is the default e-mail address provided by Office 365 when you open an account named yyy. You can then replace it with your own domain name.

• Thanks for the additional info on the yyy.onmicrosoft.com domain. Good to know (and the OP’s mail did go to Office 365).

Depending on timing, the DNS records may still be cached from before you made the additions at or upstream of Office 365, which may explain the lack of validation. Some services, Google comes to mind, at times has an alternative CNAME or TXT record that is used just for validation. Does Office 365 have that? (In short, verifying you have the right record in our DNS that Office 365 is looking for.)

• I don’t know how the Office 365 validation works.

Based on my tests, the updates seemed to propagate quickly, both on the WordPress and the Office 365 side. Office 365 requires several records, and only the TXT one is not validated.

• I don’t see a domain name registered by this account, so I can’t check anything on my end to verify if the SPF record is pulling up as valid.

What domain is at issue?

• I am actually trying to help a client, so I didn’t publish the name. Any way I can e-mail or DM you?

• @pathtosharepoint – I’ve sent a note to the e-mail address on file for your account.

• I contacted the Office 365 support via their forum:
    http://community.office365.com/en-us/forums/155/p/210962/641885.aspx

I don’t know what happened, but today the Office 365 validation is working fine for my domain. This is how I entered the TXT record:
    TXT v=spf1 include:spf.protection.outlook.com -all

• The topic ‘Help! Need to verify DNS for use of Office 365 ASAP. WordPress not responding.’ is closed to new replies.