Header image won't change

• I’m brand new. Just trying to set a custom header — I upload the image and it shows in the customizer, but it doesn’t replace the default image on my actual page. The default image flickers, but then returns. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• I’m having the exact same problem

• @nicolapitchford,

Your front page appears to be set to display a static page, and on the Coherent theme the site header image doesn’t display on pages. However you may set a featured image on a page on Coherent, including the static front page.

My tests today revealed that the header image on the Coherent theme only displays on the default posts page. It won’t display on single posts, archive pages, static pages, or on a page that is assigned to display posts when there is a static front page.

@Staff

The Coherent theme guide says:

If you have a custom header image, it appears full-width on the front page, creating an impact right away.

That’s inaccurate, because the header image on Coherent will only display if the front page is set as the posts page. It won’t display if the front page is a static page.

• @ecfalgout,

This topic pertains to the header image on sites using the Coherent theme. If your site has Coherent applied, then what’s the site address? If not then please start a new topic here: https://en.forums.wordpress.com/?new=1.

• Hi there,

Open the Customizer, click on the gear icon next to where it says “Draft Saved”, and select the Publish option. Now click the button which will now read “Publish”

You’re not seeing the changes you’ve made in the Customizer, because you’ve only saved them as a draft inside the Customizer. You have to publish them before they’re live.

That said, the custom header in this theme only applies to the default front page, that is, the posts page. If you set a static front page, add a featured image to that page instead.

@musicdoc1

The theme page is not inaccurate. At most it’s ambiguous, as “front page” can mean different things. In this case it refers to the default front page which, as this is a blog-theme, is the posts page. I’ll see if we can clarify that.

• @kokkieh,

The theme page is not inaccurate.

The terms “front page” and “homepage” are typically used interchangeably, both here in the forums and in WordPress.com documentation. Since it’s not specified what type of “front page” is referred to in the quoted sentence from the theme guide, I take it to mean the front page / homepage regardless of whether that page is set to display a static page or the blog page.

A synonym for the word “accurate” is “precise.” Therefore, “inaccurate” wasn’t inaccurate in this case. I picked the word carefully. An accurate version of the imprecise sentence

If you have a custom header image, it appears full-width on the front page, creating an impact right away.

might go something like this

If you have a custom header image, it will appear full-width on the front page, if and only if the front page is set to display the latest posts, creating an impact right away.

• The topic ‘Header image won't change’ is closed to new replies.