Getting Authorization failed with EPP

• EPP code (from Bluehost) has been sent twice and fails (Authorization Failed) when in the Authorize the transfers step. Bluehost panel says ‘Password given to a registrar to initiate a transfer’, making me think they see the code as valid and having been access by WP.

What is next step? Contact Bluehost support, contact a different WP support path, or ????

WP.com: Yes
    Jetpack: No
    Correct account: Yes

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there,

I do not see any domain transfers under your @tippyhomebrewer WordPress.com account when I check on our end. You can confirm by visiting this page: https://wordpress.com/me/purchases/

Is it possible you made your purchase under a different login? What is the URL of the domain you are needing help with? You are trying to transfer this domain to your account here on WordPress.com or to another domain registrar?

Thanks for the additional info!

• I am at step 2-Authorize the transfer, where it asks me to add the EPP code. I started by clicking Upgrade-Domains, then Add Domains in top right, then Use a domain I own. The domain I own (currently hosted at Bluehost) is tippyhomebrewers.org.

Bluehost has confirmed there are no holds or reasons to prevent, and that the domain there is unlocked.

One aside, the notify me of new replies isn’t working, I was not alerted you responded.

• Does the upgrade in plan have to occur before the domain can be added? I had assumed it would be part of the process (charging before final transfer)

• Hello there,

The transfer can happen before or after the upgrade technically speaking, however, the transfer can be free as part of the upgrade and the domain will be extended for an additional year.

I hope this helps.

• I did the upgrade to see if that was the problem, but it was not. Still getting authorization failed (cropped to hide the EPP). Any other tips/remediation I can try?

• Hi @tippyhomebrewer , I found this guide from Bluehost’s domain registrar. The EPP code is case-sensitive, so be sure you’re copying (please ensure there are no spaces or other characters around the code) and pasting it here. If that still doesn’t work, please reach out to Bluehost and tell them the code you’re getting is invalid. That’s a rare issue, but it happens. They should have a way to generate a fresh one on their side.

In the meantime, if you want to make the site live right away, you can connect the domain, then transfer it once this EPP code issue is resolved. Your credit will still be there. Just be sure to get it transferred (or renewed) prior to expiration in April.

Let us know if you need help or have questions!

• Ok, we had to really push but got a new EPP and that resolved. Thank you all for suggestions/tips.

• The topic ‘Getting Authorization failed with EPP’ is closed to new replies.