Formatting on Pages

• Would it be possible for Classic Editor to be returned to my Pages?

A couple of months ago, you were good enough to restore it to my Posts, which has been a great help.

On the Pages, the Classic formatting block no longer appears at the top. It appears at the bottom. As such, I can no longer use bullet points or colours as I used to.

Ideally, I would prefer having the choice of using Classic Editor the way it was a couple of years ago. See my Posts options as an example, where I can choose to create a new post in either Block Editor or Classic Editor using a drop-down box in the Add New option.

A Page example for you to see is https://wordpress.com/page/churchmousec.wordpress.com/4606 where, if you scroll down to ‘1 Timothy 5’, near the bottom of the page, you will see that I lost the formatting capability several weeks ago. I just haven’t had time to write in before now.

Thank you in advance for your help.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there,

I noticed that the page you linked to is a really long one (60734 words in total) and the Classic block was not really intended to hold large amounts of text like this.

For example, a novel is typically 50,000 to 100,000 words in length, over many hundreds of pages. You have a similar amount of content on a single page on your WordPress.com site, so it is understandable why our interface might struggle to contain all that.

Instead you may wish to consider working in the classic editor natively (rather than a classic block within the block editor) and you can do that by following the steps here: https://wordpress.com/support/classic-editor-guide/

Also it may be worth considering breaking large pages like this into several smaller pages to make them more manageable to edit, as well as easier for visitors to scan without needing to scrol too much.

Hope that helps. Please let us know if you have any more questions.

• Thank you very much for the link to the classic editor guide, which helped greatly.

The only drawback is that I have to reset the Page view to Classic every time I view my pages. Unlike the guide’s illustrations, I have only a choice between Default View and Classic View. Although I can set everything to Classic View, which I need as I have formatting (e.g. colours, bullet points), when I leave Pages, everything goes back to Default View and I have to reset everything again to Classic when I go back in.

Is there any way of getting Classic View to stay there without my having to reset it every time I go into Pages?

Thank you in advance for your help.

• Hi there,

Typically this preference is saved for you, but if there is an issue with cookies on your browser that can prevent the preference from being saved.

Usually when an issue like this occurs, it can be traced to an expired (or broken) login auth cookie stored on your local web browser. It looks like you are using Mozilla Firefox as your browser, so with this in mind I would like you to try the following

Thanks for the additional info!

• Hi again,

I forgot to add this, but as a workaround you can also bookmark the direct link, which will take you to the classic view for pages every time: https://churchmousec.wordpress.com/wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=page

Thanks!

• Thank you very much for your help and suggestions.

I might have had an expired or broken cookie yesterday, because when I logged on today, my Pages were in Classic mode. I have duly bookmarked the page as suggested.

I think we can consider this resolved now.

I very much appreciated your help.

• The topic ‘Formatting on Pages’ is closed to new replies.