Email versions of blog posts really narrow

• Something seems to have changed quite recently, and I’ve noticed it in other WordPress blogs that I subscribe to too, whereby the email version of a blog post is really narrow. It uses less than a third of the real estate on my monitor width-wise and is narrower than the blog post when you view it in a browser. Why is it not the same as the blog post when you view it in a browser?

Why/What has changed recently and how can we opt out of the change?

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there,

It’s normal that the emailed version will look different from the browser version: When viewing a post directly on your site the width is determined by the theme, but in the emailed version the width, along with other aspects of the appearance, is controlled by our email templates, and those templates don’t include any code from your theme.

This has always been the case, though we did recently make some updates to our email templates, which would explain why it looks different than what you’re used to.

If you don’t like the view of your full posts in the new email templates, one option you have is to change your site settings to not show the full post in email notifications, but instead to only show an excerpt, with a link to let subscribers open the full version directly on your site instead. You’ll find that setting in Settings ->Writing, in the Feed Settings section.

• Thank you for the explanation about why the emailed versions do not look the same as the web version, and that is fine. I have no problem with the fact that they are somewhat different. It is to be expected when you described it as you did (templates etc).

I am however, still concerned about why you have changed the email version to be quite so narrow compared to how it used to be.

It is not something specific to my own blog, but something I am seeing in all the blog posts I get from all the blogs I subscribe by email to. I don’t have control over the excerpt settings on everyone else’s blogs of course.

Is there something we can say to persuade you to widen your email template somewhat to approach a more readable width, or are you trying to increase blog visit stats by forcing people to click on the title and view the post online instead of reading the email copy? Might work! :-D

• widen your email template somewhat to approach a more readable width

Just how narrow are we speaking of? Could you take a screenshot of what you’re seeing on your end, and upload it to your media library so we can see it there?

I subscribe to several sites via email, and in Gmail the content area on the subscription emails I receive is around 640px wide, which is the typical width for the content area in most WordPress themes (for content not added to a wide-width or full-width block, that is). Your site’s content area is 584px wide, so I’d expect the content in the emails to be slightly wider than directly on your site.

If you’re seeing emails displaying the content narrower instead, it might point to an issue with your email client rather than with the emails themselves.

Or if that’s the 640px width you feel is too narrow, I’m happy to relay that feedback to our team that designs the email templates. I just want to be sure that we’re speaking of the same thing, though :)

• The topic ‘Email versions of blog posts really narrow’ is closed to new replies.