Domains – TXT record > 255 characters

• Nameservers for this site are ns1.wordpress.com etc – MX @ mailcluster.zen.co.uk- need to add a DKIM record to the DNS at wordpress.com. However, the TXT is > 255 characters (it is something like 412 characters) which is a problem for wordpress.com. Do I need to move the DNS away from wordpress.com to achieve this ?? I have seen
    https://wordpress.com/support/domains/custom-dns/#txt-record-character-limit

WP.com: Yes
    Correct account: Yes

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hey there, would you be willing to regenerate the DKIM using 1024 bit? That should get it under 255 characters, but should still be quite secure.

• And if that isn’t an option for your provider, update us here; we’ll check into options.

• I have the option to ‘split’ the key which generates 2 lines (each under 255 and aggregate of the same 412 chars).. any help? The hosting is Zen in the UK

• Hi there,

Although some vendors recommend splitting a DKIM into multiple TXT records, this method does not work on WordPress.com. You would need to use a key of 1024 bits in this case.

There is another option however. At the moment your domain (registered with Zen) is using our “name servers” to make a connection. This means that all email records need to be entered on this end since we are “managing your DNS” due to that connection.

However, you can contact Zen support and ask if they are able to manage larger DKIM records. If so you can:

• Switch the domain DNS so that it is managed with your domain provider directly
    • In this scenario you can enter DNS records on their end, where they may be able to support large keys
    • To connect domain traffic (not email traffic) back to WordPress.com you can instead add our recommended A Record settings instead.

The outcome is that folks would be able to visit your WordPress.com site at surreyheathsingers.org.uk as usual, but email traffic would be managed by Zen on their end.

If you wish to proceed with this you can ask as Zen to remove the following name server settings (adding their internal settings instead):

NS1.WORDPRESS.COM
    NS2.WORDPRESS.COM
    NS3.WORDPRESS.COM

Then you can ask them to add A Record settings (one each) for the following IP addresses:

On our end no changes will need to be made, once you update those settings in Zen (as well as direct them to add the necessary email records you need) you’re all set.

Hope that helps. Please let us know if you have any more questions.

• Have done as suggested above.

I am now having another issue:-
    NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID when I https://surreyheathsingers.org.uk
    Seems to be some re-direction or something strange

Zen asked if you could provide me with the Bind file of DNS records. I hope this is possible.

Thanks

• More… I cleared the cookies and history in the browser and the above error went away.

If I browse to surreyheathsingers,wordpress.com I get sent to the zen.co.uk website of surreyheathsingers.org.uk – so wordpress.com is redirecting me to zen.co.uk

Puzzled? so am I…

• Hey there,

Currently, the DNS settings for surreyheathsingers.org.uk are:

1. ns0.zen.co.uk
    2. ns1.zen.co.uk

So it looks like they’ve changed.

This is why surreyheathsingers.org.uk is directing to Zen. surreyheathsingers.org.uk is the primary domain for surreyheathsingers.wordpress.com – so this is also why surreyheathsingers.wordpress.com redirects to Zen.

To confirm, are you looking to see the surreyheathsingers.wordpress.com site under the domain surreyheathsingers.org.uk?

If yes, the name servers of the domain: surreyheathsingers.org.uk need to change to:

ns1.wordpress.com
    ns2.wordpress.com
    ns3.wordpress.com

(as opposed to the DNS settings above).

I hope this helps and is getting closer to the resolve. :)

• The topic ‘Domains – TXT record > 255 characters’ is closed to new replies.