Domain mapping

• Why does the screen which says map a domain for £11 not let me on the next page? I definitely have never had an £84 premium account before and it used to work fine. I don’t mind paying £11 for our url to point at wordpress, but when has it changed to require a subscription? It won’t let me bin the subscription and keep the map for £11/13$ option…

• Hi @kateboardman. You are correct – domain mapping used to be something that could be purchased individually, but now requires a plan.

The domains support page reads:

You will need an upgraded WordPress.com plan on your site in order to map a domain.

I did some digging, and it looks like the option for paid domain mapping without a WordPress.com plan was discontinued in 2016.

According to staff member @staff-ozmodiar in a May 22, 2016 thread:

Domains are no longer available for purchase or mapping individually. They are included with WordPress.com Premium. This change has been made as we work to offer the best combination of value and performance for users while still offering a completely free product for those who do not wish to purchase any upgrades.

• I checked with our domain registration people as well, as it’s just renewed, and after he’d been away to check, he came back and said, “but it’s working when I look”, which I take to mean someone possibly hadn’t re-flicked the forward to switch after renewal ;-)

I’m not sure I ever had any domain *management* with wordpress on this particular url, so perhaps I hadn’t noticed the subscription change. Maybe I’ve only ever had this url pointing to it and that remains free.
    Anyway, our holiday club registrations are available again now!

• The topic ‘Domain mapping’ is closed to new replies.