Domain isn't working!

• Over a year ago I had purchased a domain through WordPress (born-bred-buttered.com). Recently, I transferred the domain to Bluehost so I could use WordPress.org.

Since I couldn’t afford the auto-renewal fees, I cancelled hosting with Bluehost and my account with them as well.

On my WordPress.com dashboard under My Domains, it says that my domain is active and renews September 2015. I figured that I could cut ties with Bluehost and be on my merry way, going back to the way it used to be since I had already purchased the custom domain through WordPress.com.

However, when I type in my domain into a browser, I’m getting the 404 Not Found error messages. Is this simply a timing issue, i.e. do I have to wait 72 hours or something? Or was this a mistake on my part?

I know it wouldn’t kill me to just use bornbredbuttered.wordpress.com, but since I’ve paid for the custom domain, I’d like to use that.

Help! (sorry this is long!)

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi Kim,

I’m sorry for the confusion. Since you transferred the domain away from WordPress.com, switching it back to your WordPress.com site requires changing the domain’s settings to map the domain back to WordPress.com.

That said, I just checked your domain and I see it working on your WordPress.com site now: http://born-bred-buttered.com/

It can take domain changes a while (as you mentioned, sometimes up to 72 hours) to take effect everywhere. Is the domain working for you now, or is there anything more I can help with?

• The topic ‘Domain isn't working!’ is closed to new replies.