Disable and re-enable a website as needed?

• Hello. I’m looking to create an online portfolio and intend to hire a web designer to make it as professional as possible. Before I go down that rabbit hole, I have a quick question.

My website will have a very specific goal – helping me find work. This may or may not be too much to assume, but let’s say I find a level of work I’m satisfied with. The website will lose much of its purpose and the monthly fee will seem like a bit of a waste.

I know I have to pay for a full month at a time, but outside of that, can I disable and re-enable my website as needed? Will all of the content be saved and ready to go as soon I flip the lights back on, so to speak?

• When you sign up for a new site here at WordPress.com, we give you a free subdomain (*.wordpress.com) that you can use to start building your new site. Your content on this site would be retained whether or not you have a paid plan.

However, since you plan to use a custom theme, you would need to upgrade to the Business plan here at WordPress.com. If you stop paying for this plan, your site would be reverted to the state it was in before upgrading – likely losing your customizations.

You can compare the different plan levels here:

https://wordpress.com/pricing/

If you plan on using the WordPress software (from WordPress.org) on your own hosting, it depends on the policies of that hosting provider whether or not they retain your content if you cancel.

I hope that clarifies things! Let us know if you have any other questions.

• Glad I asked; that’s what I was afraid of. Thanks, I’ll consider my options carefully before proceeding.

• The topic ‘Disable and re-enable a website as needed?’ is closed to new replies.