Did I overwrite my Weebly-based website when I signed up for WordPress?

• I thought I was just signing up for a WordPress site that would be connected to my Weebly account (where I have my website), but now when I log into Weebly, it shows my blank WordPress site. Please help! I’m very concerned that I will lose my Weebly site, which took a very long time to create!

WP.com: Yes
    Correct account: Yes

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi,

You can’t really write over your Weebly website by creating a WordPress.com-hosted website, as the two services are not related – creating a site here will not affect a Weebly-hosted website. What was the domain name (site URL) of your Weebly website? Did you bring over your domain name to WordPress.com as well?

• Oh phew! Thank you! I just found my original Weebly site, so I’m feeling a fair chunk of relief. Yes – I put my domain name into my WordPress account, thinking that I would create my blog in WordPress and then have it magically appear on my Weebly website, but now I’m thinking that’s not how it works. What exactly did I do when I added my domain in?

• No, it actually works a bit differently from that. :)

You can’t really use Weebly for hosting your WordPress.com website, as they are not a WordPress hosting company – more than that, sites created at WordPress.com will automatically be hosted with WordPress.com (as WordPress.com is actually a web hosting provider). You can find more information on the differences between WordPress.org (the free site engine) and WordPress.com (the web hosting company) here: https://wordpress.com/support/com-vs-org/

If you haven’t modified your domain’s DNS settings or initiated a domain transfer, you haven’t done anything just yet; you have simply created a WordPress.com-hosted website in the Free plan subscription.

Do you wish to use WordPress.com as your web hosting provider and re-create your Weebly-hosted website on the WordPress site engine in the future?

• I actually think I might have initiated a transfer. It was late and I was tired when I was doing it, so I was irresponsibly just filling in boxes. How can I know? If I have, is there a way to revert it?

• If you have initiated the transfer, that means you must’ve already paid for a plan and domain subscription as well. What is the domain name in question? You can see all your Active Purchases on your Manage Purchases page at https://wordpress.com/me/purchases

• Hi! I don’t see any transfer requests on this side. I also took a guess at your domain name (a site with a red header at the top, right?) and checked to see if there were any transfer requests in our system from other accounts. I did not find any. If you want to confirm your domain, we can check again.

For what it’s worth, a domain transfer is kinda involved and would be hard to do accidentally. I just helped a friend one with one yesterday: you would have to work between two websites (ours and the old registrar) as well as your email to make it happen. Plus the losing registrar will usually send an email inviting you to expedite or cancel the transfer, and if you do nothing with that you have a few days before the transfer will complete.

If you did accidentally transfer the domain here, the site would just keep working as it is at Weebly until you changed its settings to make the domain live here. So your site should be okay. If you need to update any settings on our side, just let us know and we’ll happily assist, but I hope that gives you some peace of mind for now, kimstewartslp!

And boredtaiga, thank you for your help here, and for flagging us to take a look.

Cheers!

• The topic ‘Did I overwrite my Weebly-based website when I signed up for WordPress?’ is closed to new replies.