Convert an existing WordPress site to P2

• I would like to convert my existing WordPress site, globalfollower.wordpress.com, to a P2 site; I’m not sure if ‘converting the site’ or ‘switching to the P2 theme’ is the proper way to that say now, as P2 seems to have grown beyond being strictly a theme. Nevertheless, I cannot find a way to do this … even though I could create a new site with the P2 theme, I can’t switch an existing one.

I would note that I did manage to do this with another site of mine (westonstewart.wordpress.com) when the new P2 was in beta. Was this a beta-only option? Or am I simply missing the path for making this switch?

Thanks!

• Hi there,

My understanding is that P2 is not a standalone theme (that you can pick to add to an existing site) so the only way to start a P2 is to go through the setup process here: https://wordpress.com/start/p2/

Under that flow, it is possible to import contents from your existing site, but clearly this is not the same as your question since the P2 would use a unique address, and would not appear at globalfollower.wordpress.com.

I’ve asked our engineers if this is possible at all, and will reply here as soon as we know more. Thanks for your patience!

• So, at least at one point, it was possible to convert a site to P2:

Is it possible to convert…

I posted in that thread, requesting a conversion, but Jon isn’t responding for some reason.

• Hmm, okay. I think he may be away but we’ll check in on this for you and let you know what we find.

• I’m mildly surprised that no one else at WordPress seems to be able to handle converting a site to P2. And that there isn’t an easy, automated way to do so … as there was during the beta period.

• Hello there,

That’s very useful feedback.

We would be able to convert that for P2.

Would you like to proceed with this?

Many thanks in advance.

• Hello aleone89,

Yes, I would like to convert globalfollower.wordpress.com to P2. Please proceed with that.

Also, I apologize if my comment above was a little … well, snarky. (In my opinion, it was). I just really like P2, and I think it would be good if WordPress users could easily transition to it on demand.

Thanks again for all you guys do to keep WordPress running!

• Hi there,

No problem. globalfollower.wordpress.com has been converted to the P2 platform as requested. If there is anything else you need please let us know!

• The topic ‘Convert an existing WordPress site to P2’ is closed to new replies.