Controlling display of archived posts

• Is there any way to control the number of archived posts that are displayed in the main page?

The archiving on my blog is currently done by month. I just imported posts from an earlier blog on to WP and the archives start from May 2004, making the whole sidebar really long.

Is there any way to reduce the number of months displayed?

Or, is there a way to change the sort order of the items displayed in the sidebar?

Any other hacks?

• since there’s no ‘archive listing’ option yet [which may be a good idea to enable us how many months we want it to appear on our blogs, or drop down option might also be nice in the archive listing option] we can’t change :(

• This might be the feature that you’re looking for:

Dashpanel -> Options -> Reading -> Blog Pages -> Show at Most.

That will at least allow you to change the number of posts on the main page.

Is there any way to reduce the number of months displayed?

I believe some of the different themes remove the monthly listing.

Or, is there a way to change the sort order of the items displayed in the sidebar?

That’s currently theme dependant and we currently have no control over the templates used.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

edit: And I thought I had a long month listing on mine.

• that is the post option Dr Mike, this is about the archive list itself, I think it would be nice if we can control how the archives on our weblog appear, the drop down archive is also more simpler [as what I have on my main weblog]. By default, WP users who have it installed on their own hosts can add the archive tag [show at most 6 months, etc]. It will be more simpler, IMHO.

• Thanks guys for the replies. I think we’ll have to wait for the WP folks to either create some new themes or allow customising. Till then, we’ll have to live with this “feature”. Not a big problem.

Log, what you have on your site is kind of what I’m looking for. The first item of your post on the feature list nailed it. :-)

• The topic ‘Controlling display of archived posts’ is closed to new replies.