Contact-form ‘spamming’ recently?

• Wondering if anyone else has been experiencing this for the past several months, because it looks like some odd form of spam or phishing to me.

I will get a Contact Form notification that has only a name and an email. There is never any message. The name and email address are different each time. On average I get one or two during most weeks; for example, got one today (5/16, one yesterday, and one on 5/10). Obviously because this is a contact form submission and not a Comment, there is no WordPress spam filtering.

Not sure what the intent of something like this is, unless perhaps wanting the blog owner to respond to the supposed person’s email??

I simply ignore any Contact Form submission that has only a name and email addy but no message. It’s weird, so I am wondering it any other bloggers have been seeing the same thing. If I recall, the first ones showed up last autumn.

Are other people getting these or am I just lucky? LOL

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi!

Thank you for reaching out 🙂

It may be the case that you are just not receiving the content. That’s unlikely but I wasn’t able to see submissions without any messages on your site’s Form Responses section (Feedback → Form Responses).

You may want to try and make the message field mandatory (required) as explained here: https://wordpress.com/support/wordpress-editor/blocks/form-block/#form-block-toolbar

After that, if you continue to receive those in your inbox, let us know.

• Hey there, hope you don’t mind me adding to this discussion.

I will get a Contact Form notification that has only a name and an email. There is never any message.

I’ve also received such submissions when I offered a contact form on my site. However, these were in my dashboard’s Feedback>Form Responses> Spam folder.

Obviously because this is a contact form submission and not a Comment, there is no WordPress spam filtering

Any Comment or Feedback submitted through the built-in WordPress.com/Jetpack Comment or Feedback/contact form feature are scanned by Akismet.

If your WordPress.com site’s contact form is via a plugin, you may want to query support directly or your contact form plugin author for suggestions for an anti-spam plugin.

Hope that also helps.

• The topic ‘Contact-form ‘spamming’ recently?’ is closed to new replies.