Comments stuck in moderation queue even though "Akismet cleared this comment"

• I’m going to ask FP to change his display name and then see if he can comment a couple times to see if the issue is posting with a different display name than is in your wordpress profile

Thanks. On our little test site we weren’t able to consistently duplicate with this theory, but I’d say it’s worth a shot anyhow.

• Can everyone confirm whether this is only happening with users who have WordPress.com accounts?

I know @sa40test mentioned “MP” was having problems and wasn’t a user, but their issues seem pretty different, actually.

• I just tried several comments with an unaffiliated email address. Still can’t duplicate this.

@sa40test would FP be willing to let me log in as them and try posting test comments just on this site?

Also if there’s a way you could rope them into commenting there, that would help, too.

• @supernovia:

I have sent FP the link to your test blog post, and also asked him to communicate in a comment on your blog about whether he’s OK with letting you log in as him. I think he should at the minimum be OK with trying a few comments as experiment.

• @supernovia thank you so much for your continued help on this.

I sent your questions over to my user who is experiencing the issue, and will let you know as soon as I find out.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do or any other information you need to help replicate this issue!

• @supernovia I heard back from my user and here’s what she says:

1. She is using the same computer and connection each time she comments.
    2. She has not been logging into the site, just clicking on the link from her inbox with the notification of a new comment on her article and responding that way.
    3. She has never noticed this issue before when commenting on other sites– however, she just assumed that all comments went to moderation as a matter of course.
    4. She has a gravatar account, but she does not believe that she has a wordpress.com account for this email.

Hope that helps!

• @supernovia Cintra did comment, two times already

The first one was approved and the second again stopped on moderation

• Another weird thing I just noticed: when I look at her comments in the comments list on my backend, some are saying “2 approved” whereas others say “3 approved” and still others only say “1 approved”.

She actually has 7 approved comments, although she has used two different name variations. She always uses the same email address, and the same respective gravatar image shows up. The last several digits of her IP address are different for some of her comments (not all), but I imagine that is normal? (The number of comments left with the same exact IP address does NOT correspond to the displayed number of approved comments.)

• @maryefern3a curiously does she have better luck if she just emails her response?

• @supernovia to clarify, she is receiving notifications of new comments to her email, but she doesn’t submit her response via email. She clicks on the link from her email to open the post in her browser, then she leaves her comment from there (without first logging in to the site with her username and password).

From what I can see, every single one of her comments has gone to moderation. Should I have her try to log in before commenting to see if that helps?

• @maryefern3a will you have her try two things?

– commenting via email

– logging in and commenting

That should help us rule some things out.

• Status update: we still cannot consistently reproduce this issue. Once we can, though, I think we’ll be able to spot the problem and solve it. So, please continue to send more information that will help us be able to consistently duplicate this on a test site. I really appreciate all of your help in this. If it feels like I’m grasping for straws in these troubleshooting ideas: I am. I’ve been working with WordPress for a long time and can typically get to the root cause quickly. No such luck in this case.

Current info that would help:

– the name of affected users
    – permission from them to test using their account
    – info about their internet connection (does the issue only happen at work?)
    – does reply by email work?
    – does it matter whether they are logged in or not?

Also, in every case it’d helpful if they comment once, get approved, then comment again under the same circumstances. That second comment determines whether there is an issue.

• I ran into one more clue today: when these folks are commenting, are they commenting directly from the site or from the reader?

• supernovia,

I can’t believe I didn’t notice it until just now (although I guess it makes sense, since I’m not getting the moderation emails), but it looks like FP’s comments started going through as of 8/14. The last comment that needed moderation was a test comment from 8/10 from his work.

However, based on the process that both J and FP described for commenting, both MUST have been commenting directly from the site — the reader doesn’t provide the same language for changing display names after logging in as the site does.

• @sa40test that’s great news.

However, based on the process that both J and FP described for commenting, both MUST have been commenting directly from the site

True. Still, I’m wondering if they’re getting filtered regardless of where they’re commenting from, or whether it helps if the person changes their method of commenting.

• Thanks, @supernovia! I am still working on getting answers to your other questions, but right now I can tell you that my user having the problem is commenting directly from the site, not from the reader.

Hope to have more answers for you soon.

• The topic ‘Comments stuck in moderation queue even though "Akismet cleared this comment"’ is closed to new replies.