Changing Themes – Backup First?

• I have an ancient portfolio site, the design of which I’d like to update with a new theme, but am worried I’ll screw up the formatting if I want to restore it to the present theme. What is the best method of ensuring I can get my site back to its present state before I start changing themes? Do I need to back it up somehow, or can I just undo theme changes? Thanks.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there! 👋🏼

I have an ancient portfolio site, the design of which I’d like to update with a new theme, but am worried I’ll screw up the formatting if I want to restore it to the present theme. What is the best method of ensuring I can get my site back to its present state before I start changing themes? Do I need to back it up somehow, or can I just undo theme changes? Thanks.

I checked the site and noticed a lot of custom CSS.

With the theme change, there are no guarantees that the CSS will work appropriately with the new theme.

💡 I suggest the following:

1. Make a copy of your custom CSS (Appearance → Additional CSS) on your computer (e.g., save it with your preferred text editor so you don’t lose it)
    2. Remove it from the Additional CSS section of your site
    3. Change the theme

If you’re not happy with your site’s new theme, you can always change it back to Chateau theme (you’ll have to contact us via email or Live Chat to bring the theme back to your site because it’s retired).

• The topic ‘Changing Themes – Backup First?’ is closed to new replies.