Can't see notifications

• My little notification bell on the top right side of my page after clicking it to review notification it won’t show anything. I have refreshed the page, signed in and out but nothing. I can see the likes/comments etc on the specific post but not in the notification bar. I have checked already my settings and everything is where it should be. Help?

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there,

Can you please try clearing your browser cache and cookies? Just refreshing and logging out doesn’t clear out old data that might be stuck in your browser, and that’s most likely what is causing this.

You can find instructions how to clear cache and cookies for all major browsers here:

Browser Issues

• I have done all the clearing, the whole nine yards with my browser and cookies. But I am still having the problem.

• When you click the notifications icon, does the notifications panel slide out, but it’s not showing anything, or is it showing the loading spinner but nothing actually loads?

If it doesn’t show anything it could be that JavaScript is not enabled in your browser. You can check that via the following link:

http://enable-javascript.com/

Also disable any security or ad-blocker plugins you might have in your browser as those could be blocking the code that makes notifications work.

If the spinner shows with nothing loading it could be a connection issue. Try resetting your modem/router, and if possible check if it works on a different internet connection.

Lastly, can you try it using a different browser as well?

Please visit this page and note down the exact browser version you’re using for me:

https://supportdetails.com/

If possible, also take a screen shot of that page and upload it to your media library at My Site ->Media ->Add so I can see all of the information it shows.

• Hello, exactly the same problem here for the last few days. No notifications, just the blue circle spinning. I am through the entire clear-cache-logout-and-in-check-settings routine as well. I am on Win10 (64bit) and use browser Firefox 51 (32bit). It works okay in IE 11, so must have something to do with FF in my case.

• Not sure whether I misread my browser version in my previous comment or an automatic update happened while I was reading up on the FF website – anyway, I have FF 52 now. Notifications in WP not showing. The new FF version doesn’t support most plugins anymore, I wonder if that’s the reason?

• @granyia

Can you please follow the rest of the troubleshooting steps I outlined in the comment right above yours. There are more things to try than simply clearing cache and cookies.

For what it’s worth, I use Firefox 52 and notifications work perfectly for me, so it’s not the browser version. For a persistent spinner it’s most likely a connection problem, as I said above.

• I did everything listed above before switching browsers. I have used Chrome for years with WordPress not sure why it’s acting up now. Nothing ended up working so I just switched browsers and it works that way. Thank you for your help!

• Notifications are working for me in Chrome as well, so it should work for you.

If you want to dig into this further, can you try logging in in incognito mode and see if it loads then? If it does, it’s most like a browser extension in Chrome causing this. Maybe one recently updated causing a setting to change somewhere.

• Found it! I had disabled Third Party cookies a few days ago and forgotten about it. You need to have Third Party cookies enabled. Horrible, though.

• If you prefer to have third party cookies disabled in general, you should be able to set an exception in your browser to still allow WordPress.com cookies.

Preview Problems and Third-Party Cookies

• The topic ‘Can't see notifications’ is closed to new replies.