Cancelling Premium but keeping paid domain .com

• I am wanting to keep my ortonart.com but have it as a free site under WordPress. My premium will be deactivated in 2 days so what will happen to my site? I have had this site for almost 15 years so I do not wish to lose my web link.

Is it possible to keep my paid domain with a free WordPress?

Thanks!

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there,

You can keep your domain without the plan, yes. I see currently your domain and email subscriptions have auto-renew active, but the plan has auto-renew switched off, so the plan should be removed automatically once it expires, while your domain and email will continue working. So there’s nothing more you need to do at this point.

For most sites on WordPress.com, a plan is required to set the custom domain as primary. In other words, without a plan, your domain will redirect to your free WordPress.com address, but the free address will be the one appearing in the address bar.

However, I see you’ve owned this domain since before we implemented this policy, so in your case you should also still be able to keep your domain set as the primary address on your site. Please just note that should you ever cancel the domain or let it expire, your account will lose this legacy status.

Either way, whether you can set the domain as primary or not, as long as it’s registered and connected to your site it will take people to your site, so any old links on the web using that domain will continue working.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

• The topic ‘Cancelling Premium but keeping paid domain .com’ is closed to new replies.