Can I have a domain without a subscription?

• Hey!

This question is really – is it still possible to connect a domain that I own to a blog, without having a paid plan? It was possible a few years ago, but it seems now that you must have a plan if you want a custom domain for your blog.

Before you could get a paid plan, map your domain and then cancel the plan and keep paying for the domain mapping only. I’d like to do that, please for a site that is not on WordPress.com today.

• Hi there,

The option to connect a domain to a WordPress.com site without a plan is no longer available. An active plan is now required to connect a custom domain to your site.

If the plan associated with a domain is canceled, the connection between the domain and the WordPress.com site will also be removed. However, I’d like to highlight our most affordable plan, the Starter plan, which not only allows you to connect your own domain but also offers several additional benefits. These include the removal of ads from your site, the ability to upload audio files, and a storage capacity six times larger than what’s available with the free plan.

We’re here to help if you have any more questions or need further assistance.

• Thank you! I figured as much. I do hope this option will return soon. It was very useful.

• The topic ‘Can I have a domain without a subscription?’ is closed to new replies.