Block Editor not compadible with screen reader software

• Ever since WordPress switched over to this new block editor, this website has been an absolute ordeal to work with. I use the screenreader Jaws for Windows, and find this version of WordPress and Jaws clash pretty hard. Especially when it comes to editting my text. If I leave Jaws’ virtual curser on, I can read the text in the various blocks, but I can’t edit it. If I turn the virtual curser on Jaws off, however, I can apparently edit, but it doesn’t read anything. I’ve tried everything I can think of on my end, and I’m pretty much out of ideas on this point. I’m beginning to think maybe WordPress needs to do something on THEIR end.

• Hi there,

Features for the block editor are monitored and worked on by the open-source WordPress community, and I see that the have an report in their bug tracker for different issue with JAWS that also sounds related to the virtual cursor. You can find that here: https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/6002

We’re happy to add your report here, or report it as a separate issue (if need be) to get it in from of the developers, but one thing I am curious about is if this is an issue with JAWS only, or does the same issue occur with other screen reader tools.

Also, what is the browser you are editing in? I see there are issue reported above seems to affect Internet Explorer and Edge, but not Firefox or Chrome.

If you use a different browser (with JAWS as your screen reader) does that affect the outcome? Thanks for the additional info!

• Currently, I’m using Brave as my web browser. For a while, I was using Firefox, but the block editor was optional back then, and I preferred the original editor, so I didn’t really mess with it all that much. I’ll admit, I haven’t tried this yet, and now I’m curious.

• The topic ‘Block Editor not compadible with screen reader software’ is closed to new replies.