block an IP address in feedback

• I have a repeating commenter in feedback that I do not want. Rather than just mark them spam can I block their ip address?

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Do you mean through your site’s contact form or as a commenter on your site? If the latter, you can add that person to your comment blacklist following this guide: https://en.support.wordpress.com/settings/discussion-settings/#comment-moderation

Let us know if you have any other question.

• thanks justjennifer … actually was the former. And I notice those come as emails as well as on feedback. They leave an email & I’ve replied to them (very early in the piece) but they never reply. As the emails have gone on they are huge waffles & sometimes borderline offensive even. In the meantime at the feedback page I’ve marked them as spam. They’ve now showed up from a new IP ad as well but can tell is the same person.

• I gather that I cannot block the IP address of somebody who uses the contact form regularly? Their latest batch of essays I marked as spam, & have left a notice at the contact page about that.

• Hello again, I missed your earlier response.

Both the comment and contact form use Akismet, so it would be reasonable to believe that both can be managed via the Discussion settings I mentioned earlier. Did you try adding that person’s IP address to the blacklist?

I’m also adding a tag for Staff input to understand the process better.

• Hi there,

If you add the IP address of the person you want blocked, it should send those person’s comment straight to the trash. You can do so here.

Please visit our support page for more information:

IP Addresses

Thanks,

• Thanks for the last two replies. I will try both.

• Hi there,

Please note that IP addresses are not unique, but ISPs assign them to people as available when they connect to the web. So by blocking an IP address you can end up blocking other people than the person you’re trying to block, and that person will still be able to comment or submit the contact form should their ISP automatically assign them a different IP, or if they use a VPN or a different internet connection.

Blocking via email address is much more effective.

• The topic ‘block an IP address in feedback’ is closed to new replies.