Beep Beep Boop screen is a joke. Is this a glitch?

• Also, why, when I click New Post, does it give me the last draft I was editing? New Post should mean New Post!

• And re the border point again … in other words you can’t remove the border around an image. You can only make it white.

• @gracejiyoung

You wrote: “The beep beep boop message has been brought back by popular demand.”

We are still waiting to hear where this popular demand is coming from. It seems clear that the demand is in the other direction.

• Why is the background blue? It wasn’t that long ago that we had the ability to change the color of the background on the administrative pages, including the editor. That was a very welcomed change. Hope to see that option available in the future. In the meantime, I’m only using the classic editor.

The new blue editor takes a very long time to load and I’m also using high speed DSL connection.

Why no word count? Only recently WordPress has written a couple new blog posts about the longreads tag and seemed to be encouraging us to write longer posts. How do we know to use the longreads tag is we don’t know how many words are on the post?

Preview/Publish at the bottom is not user-friendly as explained in a comment above by windwhistle.

Like I mentioned in another comment several pages ago, why change to this editor when the classic editor stills has problems?

Thanks for “fixing” the edit button to go to the classic editor. That will make editing much easier for those who prefer the old editor (with its flaws). Too bad the change doesn’t stay after clearing cookies. Why not have a choice of which editor we prefer to use?

Thanks to timethief, for answering one of my questions about whether this “new blue” editor would be permanent or not. https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/beep-beep-boop-screen-is-a-joke-is-this-a-glitch/page/2?replies=42#post-1993458

• I’m pretty sure the “beep bop boop” idea was stolen straight from the little girl in Toy Story 3 and it seems to have the same imaginary effects on the interface. Actually I think I may prefer her microwave. I’ve been using wordpress.com since 2006 and this is the first time I’ve been tempted to retreat to blogger.com. My biggest complaint is that my photos load wrong. They automatically link to a URL at a size and alignment that I hate. So now I have to manually correct every image three times. I want a default setting option for loading images so that this is not required.

I also don’t like the smaller writing space. The last version was far superior.

However, in an effort to be a little more positive, I do like the drop down option for choosing previously used tags. Also the default setting to save as a draft instead of publishing could grow on me. I see the merit. This is the first time I’ve complained in eight years. I’ve been a loyal and satisfied user. Please unbreak my wordpress now. Thank you.

• The next time you select to use the classic editor instead of the new editor, we’ll remember it! From then on you’ll be directed back to the classic view instead, you won’t have to select it every time.

Note, if you end up having to clear your cookies for any reason, you’ll need to opt out of the new editor again.

https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/new-post-editor-improvements?replies=3#post-1998848

THANK YOU! However, I empty my cache and cookies every single time I close my browser for security. Can my editor choice not be remembered server side rather than client side?

• @gracejiyoung

The next time you select to use the classic editor instead of the new editor, we’ll remember it! From then on you’ll be directed back to the classic view instead, you won’t have to select it every time.

Please note, if you end up having to clear your cookies for any reason, you’ll need to opt out of the new editor again.

Thanks for listening to us but…

Even this is not a very good solution as you see that a lot of people clearl cookies and cache regularly. I am one of them too.

It should be an option anywhere in the settings and saved on your servers. Saving the setting via cookies is not the best solution.
    Please tell the developer that this should be saved on your servers and the option should be available in the dashboard-settings.

• **Update**

The next time you select to use the classic editor instead of the new editor, we’ll remember it! From then on you’ll be directed back to the classic view instead, you won’t have to select it every time.

Please note, if you end up having to clear your cookies for any reason, you’ll need to opt out of the new editor again.

Thank you WP-staff!

PLEASE ….leave it this way: the tiny tot editor for all the popular demanding souls (?who ?where?) and the adult editor for all the souls in this thread as well as those who can’t be bothered to join the outcry or else cannot find it but sad and suffering just the same.

• @gracejiyoung
    “@teepee12 and @krgwriter
    You both mentioned that Preview was no longer working for you. I just tested this a minute ago and found that it was working. Can you check one more time and see if it’s still not working?
    Also, please make sure you allow popups – let me know if it’s enabled and it’s still not working.”
    — Erm, no? I’m not messing with my pop-up settings for one website in 2014. It’s just.. no. That’s ridiculous, in my opinion.
    One of the things WP.com is good at is simplifying things for people who don’t understand software/computers too well. I’m not risking my entire computer because a website has gone backwards. It’s there for security and I’ve had too many issues before.

Also, for reference, I’m using Chrome.
    The preview button just saves (which took over 20 seconds to save! – all I did was write “test” in the main editor), and it doesn’t save our preference of editor. Which I guess is helpful while we’re still testing – I can learn to just click “new” for the old editor and “new post” for the new one — it’s not more clicks to get to, then I’ll adjust.
    All of the above is without allowing popups, for the above reasons.

Hope that adds clarification.

• Per gracejiyoung:

At last! Thank you! :-)

This is the best – and in my opinion – most positive development thus far in this frustrating saga (now into day 4 btw ;-) ). If only it could be left this way for good.

FYI – I’m using Chrome and it has worked fine even after logging off and back on to the Internet.

However the fact that this update/concession has been so warmly greeted by your users should once again reinforce the overwhelming negative opinion towards the new editor and really should be heeded by the powers that be.

Is there no place for democracy in the world of blogging? :-P

Thanks again for listening and acting on this point though. :-)

• Performance issues -“everything takes 30 seconds”
    ———————————————————————–
    I suggest somebody ask the programmers and developers if they are familiar with the concept of “Ordo” as it is used in computer sciences, analyzing performance problems in code.

If they are, good. If not, I strongly suggest they read up on it, and rewrite the code according to the results of the analysis.

cheers/01010010 01101111 01101100 01100110

• Phew! Just tried setting my edit view to “classic” in Chrome, and yes – it stuck. Even from the “edit” link at the bottom of a post. I must admit I wasn’t expecting this to stick (it didn’t yesterday), and now it does, I am very grateful. So a big thank you for listening to all your dismayed users and enabling rolling back to the ease of use of the wonderful old interface.

I was in the middle of trying to update and rationalise all posts in a 500+ post daily photo blog and the Beep interface had just made it practically impossible. I was leaving mistakes rather than correct them. Now I can proceed smoothly and professionally as I always did before! However now I am backing everything up and working on the basis that I may need to decamp to Blogger at some point. I really hope I don’t have to.

• Well, still the text in “visual” mode runs in a narrow column and I can’t set links in this mode any more (I have to change to “text” mode), but it’s “better than nothing”.
    Hope it stays like this.
    Irja.

• Just thinking…..
    I guess we’ll have to go through a similar process again when WP decide to impose Beep Beep Boop upon us for creating/editing Pages….

• We should set up a memorial day:

Wednesday, the thirteenth August
    Beep Loading Beep Things Boop Doomsday

I already created an event for 2015.

• Thank you for the “classic” option, very much appreciated.

For those using Chrome having trouble getting access to classic, or finding it tedious to go through the workaround, I just saved my classic interface to Bookmarks, and moved it to the Bookmarks Toolbar at the top of my browser.

It’s an easy one-step solution that doesn’t require disabling cookies or any other annoyances.

Did a quick test, and found Boop Beep now only takes 20 seconds to load each time. Still think this is too long. Still don’t understand why it needs any time to load – the old one doesn’t, and it has more stuff on it. There is still no button for polls on Boop Beep.

• @alanase

that I may need to decamp to Blogger at some point.

Actually I ran from Blogger, plagued by many glitches, sudden small, but annoying little changes, to find this great platform which up to now has fulfilled my needs just 100% – let’s hope I don’t need to turn around yet again.

• I switched to the classic editor for composing new posts, but when I try to edit an older post I get directed to the new “improved” interface. I have the option to switch to classic mode there, but it doesn’t remember my choice. When I try to edit another post I get the beep beep boop screen again with a nag at the top about switching to classic. So annoying!

I wish WordPress.com behaved more like WordPress.org. Self-installs seem much more streamlined and professional.

• gracejiyoung, the election to use the “classic” editor remains selected, even when I delete my blog’s cookie, as long as I don’t delete my “wordpress” cookie. So that’s fine, and much appreciated.

However, when I uncheck the screen option to “Expand the editor to match the window height,” it has no effect. The inner scrollbar to the post editor is still missing, and when I return to the editor, having deleted no cookies, that option is checked again. I’m using Firefox. I haven’t tried it with any other browser because I’m not interested in switching browsers just to keep up with the gyrations of your developers.

• Update 9:30 a.m. CT Saturday 16 August 2014

WordPress just added “Welcome to an easier way to create on WordPress.com! Missing the old editor? No worries, just switch to classic mode.” –with “classic mode” as the link to do that. It now appears after the “beep-beep-boop” nonsense. Works for me – so far so good. Obviously, the new version is NOT “an easier way” to create a post.

There is also the work-around I found…

For a New Post:
    1. Main “Dashboard” – from WordPress Site TITLE drop-down (open the main Dashboard) >
    2. “Posts” >
    3. “Add New” (right under “All Posts”) = old version!!!
    [NOT “New” > “Post” from title drop-down. And all other options get the B-B-B nonsense.]

To do an Edit:
    1. Main “Dashboard” – from title drop-down (open the main Dashboard) >
    2. “Posts” >
    3. “All Posts” >
    4. Find the post you want to edit >
    5. Select “Edit” under post title. That will avoid the B-B-B nonsense.

+ + +

• The topic ‘Beep Beep Boop screen is a joke. Is this a glitch?’ is closed to new replies.