Attention Support Staff: forum thread comments in spam filter

• It sounds like you may be experiencing packet loss. You can check by running this code in your command prompt:

ping -n 100 forums.wordpress.com

For comparison, also run this:

ping -n 100 google.com

Let me know what that returns. It should look something like this:

--- cs82.wac.edgecastcdn.net ping statistics ---
    100 packets transmitted, 100 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 26.897/29.105/31.273/1.523 ms
  • You can check by running this code in your command prompt:

Command prompt? Say what? I don’t know what you mean Shawna and it sounds scary so step by step instructions will be needed.

• Sorry about that! At least you’re on Windows 7, I can actually give you directions for that. Windows 8 still has me a bit baffled. :)

If you click on the Windows icon/start button, you should be able to type to search for programs. Type “command” and the Command Prompt should pop up in your options.

A black window will open, that’s where you can type the code I gave you before. The code basically runs a ‘ping’ 100 times to the URL specified and tells you how many times it succeeded and failed.

• Okay here goes … if I don’t return it’s all your fault and you will may hear my voice hit the note that shatters wine glasses. :)

• I got the black box but I could not copy and paste anything into it. Sometimes I hate computers and this is one of those times. Maybe I ought to just suck it up and wait the 9 seconds for pages to load. :(

• Every time I try to enter what you provided into the black command prompt box it becomes:
    ^U

• Can you try it this way:

ping forums.wordpress.com -n 100

Can you tell me what part of the code the caret ^ is under? Usually it points to a character that the program doesn’t understand.

• When I copy and paste anything there it automatically turns into the caret U
    ^U

• Ohh. Okay. Yeah, the command prompt does not like pasting. Sorry, I completely forgot about that. You’ll need to type it out.

• I typed in the first one and it says no packet loss.
    I typed in the second one and got the same result 0% packet loss.
    I do appreciate your help but I have to go to catch a ferry now.

• Thanks for doing those! The next thing to try is a bit involved. Just let me know when/if you want to pick this up and I can send you some step-by-step directions.

Enjoy the ferry! I’m sure they’re totally normal to you, but I’ve only been on one, when I was a kid, so they’re cemented as “totally fun” in my brain. :)

• @Shawna
    I discovered the culprit and it was Chrome which I have uninstalled. Awhile back in a private support ticket we tried to address a Firefox issue I had unsuccessfully. I uninstalled Firefox and after I uninstalled Chrome all the issues disappeared. I installed Firefox again last night but lost all my bookmarks, extensions, etc. Today I am using Firefox naked (no extensions or add-ons). I still experience a 5 second delay in page loading time on the forums compared to the warp speed I used to fly at but I can suck it up and accept it, if I have to, I suppose. ;)

Thanks for your help.

P.S. Will you close this thread please? I’ll start a new one for the original purpose when required.

• P.P.S. The good news is that after adding a tag to a forum thread the page load time is 1 second. Alleluia! It’s back to normal. However, the bad news is that after submitting a comment in a form thread the page load time is between 6 and 8 seconds. To me that’s a-n-n-o-y-i-n-g-l-y slow.

• That’s so weird. One other thought could be if you have an antivirus that helps you browse securely? Maybe its interfering with our move to https.

At any rate, I’ll close this thread for you. You know how to reach us if you have more trouble. :)

• The topic ‘Attention Support Staff: forum thread comments in spam filter’ is closed to new replies.