add CAPTCHA

• blogger has the option of requiring a CAPTCHA prior to commenting. I’d like this option for wordpress also. And to slow up the spambots offer multiple kinds of CAPTCHAs with user controllable COMPLEXITY settings

• You have Akismet already.
    Captchas are very easily worked around.

And captchas are very unfriendly to visitors too.

• *Lame* captchas are easily worked around.

http://sam.zoy.org/pwntcha/
    http://www.puremango.co.uk/cm_breaking_captcha_115.php
    http://www.puremango.co.uk/acdc_breakcaptcha.php

I think a workable solution is to provide at least a dozen characters and then prompt for something like “the first four charaters, but not the one before the last, that are blue and red, and even where appropriate”. Naturally mixing up which characters are requested. This requires *comprehension*

• Yes, I can read, thank you. And I have read that article, too.

My suggestsions, however, are not addressed in the wiki, or any related linkage.

• I read the entry on captchas Podz and thank you for bringing it to our attention. I find that akismet works very well for me. I also gave the blogger above a freebie “click” or two by going to his/or her blog. I was surpised to find advice entries but no “about” page. Perhaps it’s a persaonal quirk on my part but I find always it reassuring to know who is giving advice and what their background and credentials are. This is a gentle blog improvement hint delivered with a friendly smile to bettersearch.

• bettersearch……
    WordPress is run by Matt.
    WordPress development is run by Matt
    Akismet was written by Matt

Given the ‘improvements’ you are asking for around the forum, it makes me wonder why you are here..

• How about those of us who can’t read a Captcha image? Like myself? :)

There’s legal opinion that Captcha’s are against the ADA here in the States. There are already cases filled on this but none have reached the courts yet.

• Kudos to Matt
    Kudos to Matt
    Kudos again to Matt

:D

re ADA
    Well, when it becomes clear law then it’ll be something to worry about. I don’t expect it’ll ever apply to personal blogs. On my privately hosted blog I have a difficult captcha and it initially sparked a bitchfest over ADA issues. I invited those on the ADA side to submit their comments via postcard. That seems like a perfectly viable alternative that doesn’t cause ME extra work.

Disallowing CAPTCHA on an internet protocol designed to share COMPLEX VISUAL content at the behest of a tiny minority of visually-challenged individuals is a bit vexing if not right out inane. Its right up there with making the SAT easier because low scoring students feel bad.

The ADA is not all powerful and not all venues need to offer accomodations. There is no way to get an exception from the airforce to allow visually-challenged-persons to enter flight school. Sure, sure, a special plan could probably be designed, but that goes back to needless extra work.

:)

re why here
    I am so NOT a fan of google products

I refuse to use gmail, won’t use their search engine, and I reject all mail from all google domains at the MTA.

How exactly did my suggestions prompt your odd question?

re about page
    I renamed the about page.

• Thank you for telling me that I’m not invited to your website. I’m sure I’m not missing much.

It is clear law under Title IV of the Act. Just because you don’t think it is in your mind doesn’t mean that that is reality for the rest of us.

Internet access has already been covered by the courts with case law. I suggest you do some research before making statements showing your ignorance like you’ve done. A simple call to an attorney speciailizing in this field would have shown you this. It’s funny that you mention the SATs as the College Board has procedures for those who need equal access.

That seems like a perfectly viable alternative that doesn’t cause ME extra work.

Congraduations. You’ve alienated a large portion of the world’s population.

• “Thank you for telling me that I’m not invited to your website”

That’s exactly the response I got last time. That didn’t stop them from complaining… so with the right motivation they can cope just fine. So it really boils down to controlling other people.

“A simple call to an attorney”

Hey I’ll do that right now. Please hold.

My attorney says personal sites do not fall under the pervue of that act. The ADA requires “REASONABLE ACCOMODATION where it can be done without undue hardship”.

It applies ONLY to businesses, primarily employers. Personal WP sites are neither. So unless I’m a commercial operation employing five or MORE employees it doesn’t apply.

When wordpress provides service to those who similarly do not fall within the pervue of ADA (like me) then there’s no law-violation in implementing visually challenging catcha — AND there’s no case law preventing that.

Speaking of ignorance… you’re glowing. MY SAT reference had ZILCH to do with equal access.

Title IV applies to employment and public access BUSINESSES. Your ‘argument’ is horrifically unsubstantial. Show me the apellet court decisions that require a private website to make such accomodations.

THERE IS NO SUCH REQUIREMENT

thanks for playing

:D

• Nobody answered the initial question of betterbetter so I repeat it : How do you add a captcha before posting a comment on a WordPress blog ?

TIA

• How do you add a captcha before posting a comment on a WordPress blog ?

You cannot do this.
    It will not be implemented here.

• Shall I provide the answer?

You can’t at this time. There’s no facility to do so on wp.com.

As the aside, Captchas are the primary method for many people to stop comment spam.

wp.com (as do all wordpress installs with config) has Akismet enabled automatically for comment spam catching and removal. If this isn’t good enough then the user could turn on comment moderation.

In 99.99% of cases when running a wp blog captchas are simply not needed. They are an extra nause which will stop some people leaving a comment. This includes me as I find captcha images difficult to read and my comment isn’t really worth enough to bother with going through the individual help every time to find out how to get round it. This usually involves an email to an administrator, a response and then (maybe) leaving the comment, by which time the comment is usually irrelevant anyway!

Collin

EDIT: So, while typing my long winded reply Mark beat me to it!

• Of course, if you set up your own wordpress blog on a paid host there is nothing to stop you installing as many captcha plugins as you wish. You’ll be excluding a surprisingly high number of readers by doing so, but that’s really your loss rather than theirs. There are millions of other blogs out there for them to read, after all :)

• Not to mention that the #1 problem commenters have with Blogger and Blogspot is that the CAPTCHAs don’t work. They simply vanish, leaving a red X behind.

Betterbettersearch, you seem to want not only a CAPTCHA, but an extraordinarily long, complex one. I have blogs on Blogspot and here as well as a couple of other setups, and I can tell you that Akismet is da bomb. Your suggestion is like adding a carthorse to a Ferrari.

If you are going to insult other people’s skills, it’s a good idea to make sure you make no keyboarding mistakes when describing “charaters,” typing, and comprehension.

• Not this thread again… :(

Another issue is that Captcha’s don’t work in some situations. For example, with the setup here at the coffee shop, I can’t use the lookup searches at marketleap.com (It’s a site that provides result comparisons between the different major search engines. SEO crap). I get the same image over and over again, even with doing a forced reload of a page.

On top of that, also remember that even if it’s a nummerically small portion of the population, there are a large number that surf with text browsers that read the pages in front of them. That can’t view images in their browsers and, since wp.com is a business, it does fall within the ADA, even if BBS says that it doesn’t.

The other issue is though way aleinate your visitors. Many sighted visitors hate them as well. I’ve sat here on a good day and tried to make out a Captcha not not been able to do so. If it’s a matter of typing out a response and knowing that I have to also fill out a Captcha that I may or may not be able to make out, I’m not going to bother with it.

It’s actually one of the reasons why I stopped dealing with Blogshares. They use them in many different places within their site.

If it’s that important for you, turn on the “Only registered user can comment’ feature.

• The topic ‘add CAPTCHA’ is closed to new replies.